Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH?

4 posters

Go down

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Empty Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH?

Post by touchdry October 30th 2018, 9:45 am

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Sl011
Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Sl410
Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Sl510

I've had this hidden away for years. I love it! But I do not know who made it ... any ideas?

I bought it in the West Midlands UK around 2005.

Height 7cm/just under 3" by a diameter of 25cm/just under 10"

Definitely not Sue Barker or Svend Bayer(!), and not Sam Haile or Shoji Hamada (joke!!), ... I don't think Susan Halls or Sophie Hamilton ... unfortunately, there is a long list of SH's ... none of which seem to be the potter of this fine bowl ... of course I could be wrong about any of the above mentioned! I think the recognition will come with seeing the style of work.

Sorry, I cannot get the mark to show ... but it is definitely an S ... and possibly a B or H.

So ... does anyone recognize this?
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Back to top Go down

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Empty Re: Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH?

Post by touchdry October 30th 2018, 2:12 pm

Do you reckon it could be Edward Hughes? ... Surely not Derek Clarkson!?

I know ... I'm picking at straws ... but there is a similarity in the ribbed nature of the piece ...
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Empty Re: Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH?

Post by NaomiM October 30th 2018, 5:01 pm

Frustratingly I came across a similar bowl when searching for someone else and thought it was an unusual design for the potter. I just wish I’d taken a screen shot of it for reference.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 12th 2019, 3:05 am

Helps to have a photo of the base.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 12th 2019, 6:52 am

From the style a potter that comes to mind is Helen Pincombe. Not so well known now, but I have seen a number of her bowls of hers with similar decoration.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry January 12th 2019, 8:49 am

Thanks for that philpot. I can see why you think this could be one of Helen Pincombe. I have taken another shot of the base and tried to be able to better view the mark ... which looks very like SH. So, what do you think?

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Shbase10
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 12th 2019, 9:47 am

With glaze flooded marks it is always fiendishly difficult to interpret them. You go on endless speculation. Helen Pincombe's mark is a small HP, which is often difficult to interpret. Although from that photo I doubt it is hers.
In fact, looking at that S it reminds of the standard St Ives mark!. It is a highly skilled piece. Even more so because because of that incised decoration, which few potters have the skill to do, There is really no highly skilled potter I can think of doing this sort of Anglo/Japanese work with the letters SH.

Although, having said that. Both Ursula Mommens and Chris Lewis worked at the South Heighton pottery near Newhaven Sussex. They did use an SH mark which was an S incised within an H, as well as their personal mark. This sort of style is exactly the sort of thing they have done, and they are both exceptional potters.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry January 12th 2019, 10:03 am

... plus the fact that you have people like Warren Mackenzie doing things like this:

Tenmoku incised bowl marked SB or SH? Wmpadd10

Is this what is called paddled work?
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 12th 2019, 1:45 pm

I was thinking Michael O’Brien or his cousin Anthony OBrien

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 12th 2019, 3:10 pm

This thread is the perfect illustration of the frustration of an filled glaze mark. Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry January 12th 2019, 3:50 pm

... Hmmm ... choices, choices, choices! I guess I'll have to contact them (Michael and Anthony O'brien). I'll let you know ...
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 12th 2019, 3:54 pm

Anthony (Anto) is on Facebook. Michael is only really contactable through Anto. NB. Their surnames are spelt slightly differently: Anthony OBrien and Michael O’Brien

Last edited by NaomiM on January 12th 2019, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry January 12th 2019, 3:55 pm

... doing it now ... thanks NaomiM
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 12th 2019, 11:31 pm

NaomiM wrote:Anthony (Anto) is on Facebook. Michael is only really contactable through Anto. NB. Their surnames are spelt slightly differently: Anthony OBrien and Michael O’Brien

Michael really spells it the same way but I think he gave up telling people. I have visited Michael a number of times and have seen many of his pots but nothing with this type of decoration. That doesn't mean he didn't make it though.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry January 13th 2019, 8:42 am

Thanks for that studio-pots - for some reason I cannot use facebook so I have contacted them via a website.

I too have my doubts about this bowl being one of theirs. The mark is almost definitely an S plus possibly an H ... but the style does not match any potters who use SH ... still, I'll keep looking ... and perhaps if Michael or Anthony respond they might direct me to someone else ... here's hoping!
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum