Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase? Arts and Crafts?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Empty Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase? Arts and Crafts?

Post by finders9 September 3rd 2018, 9:58 pm

IAnyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Img_2018
Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Img_2017
Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Img_2019
recently acquired this slab constructed studio pottery vase which I would describe as "Arts and Crafts" in style. The bottom had been covered some time ago with felt which I removed to reveal the signature. Although somewhat open to interpretation my reading is "I L G" or "J L G" for the top line; and "12-49" for the second line. It is possible that this second line is a date - the style is appropriate for that time frame, or it could simply be a style/artist/inventory number. It measures juust about 8.5" long by 5.5" across and 5.5" tall. I have been unable to identify the artist so would welcome any suggestions as well as general comments on the piece. Thanks

Last edited by finders9 on September 3rd 2018, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
finders9
finders9

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-21

Back to top Go down

Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Empty Re: Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase? Arts and Crafts?

Post by denbydump September 3rd 2018, 10:15 pm

Looks like a very well made studio piece.
Arts and crafts was late 19th century, so not from that period.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Empty Re: Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase? Arts and Crafts?

Post by finders9 September 3rd 2018, 11:28 pm

Thanks to Denbydump.  For some reason site would not load my last photo w/close up of mark so I'll try here:  Anyone recognize style/signature of this vase?  Arts and Crafts? Mvimg_14
finders9
finders9

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 3rd 2018, 11:35 pm

12-49 may be december 1949?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 3rd 2018, 11:41 pm

Agreed, it looks like a date. It doesn’t look up to the standard of a professional potter. Considering the date, it may have been made at an Army rehab craft centre

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by finders9 September 4th 2018, 3:20 am

Thanks for the comment and also for directing my attention to the crafts program offered by our military rehabilitation efforts - a quick Google shows it produced quite a few accomplished artists and I plan to view the NPR doc on the topic ....so even if this piece proves not to be of that origin, looking forward to learning more. regards
finders9
finders9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum