Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark

5 posters

Go down

Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark Empty Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark

Post by hubsnbubs May 31st 2018, 9:23 pm

Hi All!

My wife and I acquired this lovely hand painted dragon vase but are having great difficulty in identifying a maker and wondered whether anyone might have an idea?

It measures approx 8" tall, is hand painted in a cobalt blue, where as the base has a strange "double key" mark on the base along with "1983" in blue/black? So, made in 1983? If so by who we wonder!
It's lovely so would be great to have some help to dig a little deeper with research :)

Here are some pics...
Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark V111
Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark V211
Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark V311

Thanks in advance!

Chris & Ali
hubsnbubs
hubsnbubs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-02-29

Back to top Go down

Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark Empty Re: Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark

Post by janetpjohn May 31st 2018, 10:21 pm

Flow blue is transferware, not hand painted like this. Sorry I can't help with the very strange marks, not the usual Chinese or Japanese.
Janet
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark Empty Re: Flow Blue Dragon Vase with funny mark

Post by denbydump May 31st 2018, 10:30 pm

Why would the base be crazed and the rest not?
maybe modern
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by hubsnbubs May 31st 2018, 11:20 pm

Thanks Janet- my bad, I meant just blue and white!

Denbydump- there is crazing to the body too it just looks like the dirt got in and stained the base so it’s more prominent maybe?

Thanks all so far!
hubsnbubs
hubsnbubs

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 31st 2018, 11:54 pm

It’s an odd mix of styles. It reminds me of Benlloch pottery from Spain but I’m not sure why they would use a Chinese motif rather than their usual homegrown decorative style.
It might be from one of the smaller Asian countries like Vietnam or Thailand, but the Marks on the base aren’t ones I’ve come across from those regions. It might be a decorator’s piece and the marks are for the Western retailer . Or it might be by a studio potter who has decided to make a faux-Chinese vase. We’ll just have to wait for another one to turn up with a label

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 1st 2018, 12:04 pm

It has the look of one of those Chinese style European vases from the 1920's-1930's. The marks underneath could also be simply something other than a date and keys - they could be read as windmill blades and a model number. They wear to the base suggests a rough life if it is from 1983 anyway. Not sure we will ever know until another turns up.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hubsnbubs June 1st 2018, 8:27 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Naomi & Mordeep- I guess we will never really know, but will keep digging!
Cheers :)
hubsnbubs
hubsnbubs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum