Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then?

5 posters

Go down

Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then? Empty Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then?

Post by philpot April 5th 2018, 5:42 pm

Well he is according to the number of views he has had on this site! Well over 13,000.
Easily beating Eric Leaper with over 11,000. Then there comes Robin Welch, Sam Hall and Bernard Rooke with over 10,000 each.
A little fudged of course, as Bernard, David, and most Janet Leach are all in the St Ives pottery thread.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then? Empty Re: Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then?

Post by dantheman April 5th 2018, 6:00 pm

probably our favorite affordable potter

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then? Empty Re: Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then?

Post by philpot April 5th 2018, 6:24 pm

One of the drawbacks of this site is that it will not host photos from other websites. So the more expensive potters are not much represented here.
          But of course most expensive does not necessarily mean the most popular. A lot of people find Rie, Coper and their followers rather academic and cold.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 5th 2018, 8:44 pm

pinterest pics are fine and any pic with owners permission or proven to be free of copyright

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 5th 2018, 9:23 pm

Pinterest ain't quite the same.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 5th 2018, 9:32 pm

yeah I don't like it either

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. April 5th 2018, 10:36 pm

Why does everyone think we sit about drooling for Coper and Rie? They mean nothing to me. I want stuff I can reasonably buy, handle and shelf. Pottery is great as most of the items are affordable. I have a little collection of Alan's work and it means a lot to me.

In money terms would I swap my collection for a Rie saucer (just the saucer)

......let me think....errrr......Pondering

No.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2018, 11:06 pm

John Maltby and Geoffrey Swindell are my favorites

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 6th 2018, 6:52 am

The 10,000 Views club is interesting. Alan Wallwork and Bernard Rooke shared a studio in London for several years, and their style has vague echoes of each other. Robin Welch and Sam Hall are both 'painterly' potters, again with some similarity in their work. Both with strong connections with St Ives funnily enough. Similarly Eric Leaper's work is very decorative, and with a vague St Ives connection
None of them of course appear in the latest blockbuster studio show THINGS OF BEAUTY GROWING at the Ftizwilliam in Cambridge. Which while it is a superb exhibition, is one curated mainly by the 'Establishment', which clearly has a different viewpoint from the hoi polloi!Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 6th 2018, 9:23 am

odd that Leaper is on the list, his pottery sells for peanuts these days, if at all

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 6th 2018, 2:55 pm

THAT is what is interesting Dan!
Potters you would not expect to, seemingly having a lot more interest in them than more famous ones.
True Vox Pop!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 6th 2018, 3:11 pm

unless it's not interest in the pottery but instead the price it can be sold for

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 6th 2018, 5:16 pm

Tut ! You bin doing this too long Dan you confirmed cynic! Laughter

philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by joethehat April 7th 2018, 4:04 am

Back to Alan! HE has always stated that he isn't a great technical potter. To me that's not the issue, it IS more about what YOU consider to be 'visually appealing'. Of course there are many other aspects that can be assessed, such as the quality in 'workmanship' (can I still say that?!!), materials used, construction techniques, modelling, form and shape, surface treatments, firing techniques and resulting effects, etc!
Alan has had well over fifty years of EXPERIENCE in the craft as a WORKING studio potter. He was one of just a FEW that actually made a LIVING from the craft back in the sixties. On the whole he is 'self-taught' and has blazed his own trail and on HIS terms.
He's undoubtedly my favourite British potter, for a number of reasons, some already mentioned! In the main because I like his work and the great variety of individual pieces he's done! The shapes, textures and natural colours, use of stoneware and porcelain slip in conjunction with various surface treatments. That 'time worn' appearance that he achieves is just great. His work is 'timeless', especially the 'organic' pieces, which can ride the tide of 'fashion'.
Over his long career, Alan has neither sought or courted attention, so maybe that's why he isn't more highly regarded, but HE is not at all bothered about that!
He's my favourite potter because he makes good pots, he's a good man of strong character, considerate, modest, 'special'. Is Alan Wallwork Britain's favourite Studio Potter then? Select10
joethehat
joethehat

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 7th 2018, 7:47 am

A very good summary there Joe.
He is very visually appealing. When we first started collecting Studio pottery back in the early 90's, we often visited the striking Devon Craft Guild Gallery at Bovey Tracey. They had a very wide and varied selection of studio pottery of a high quality. In all of those, Alan Wallwork's work stood out and grabbed you. It was so visually striking, and so different from anything else.
              So his work was amongst the first we bought. Still got those pieces today, and they never fail to be interesting. It helped of course that the Devon Guild was one of the main outlets for Alan Wallwork's work, and the best of it appeared there!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by joethehat April 9th 2018, 6:34 pm

Could we have some photos of your pots for the website then? Laughter Laughter
joethehat
joethehat

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum