Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

+27
PotteryLover123
Grumpy Grandad
siouxee
22 Crawford St.
LEGSY
Essenjay
clearly
studio-pots
RoyJ99
Karinclark
vanmann
skipposal
lindylou08
RVsaid
NaomiM
gareth-h
Catshome
BrandX
Nik
rosyrutter
Jeffingtons
kgk
Potty Primate
dpbdjm
tenpot
Raine Larcher
big ed
31 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Re: Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

Post by NaomiM December 7th 2012, 10:04 pm

Catshome wrote:Thanks Naomi - that really helps. Now I'm pretty sure my cockerel is Llangollen, as the whale (nice!) looks to have been made from a similar coloured clay.

I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been for your cockerel. Happy The seller hadn't id-ed it because the backstamp is too faint.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Re: Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

Post by NaomiM December 7th 2012, 10:34 pm

Oops, dimensions: 6" long, 4.5" high

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Signed slipware finish Salt Pig - Llangollen Pottery

Post by RVsaid January 4th 2013, 2:56 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 P1020919

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 P1020920
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Slipware sugar bowl - Powell Pottery, 1951

Post by lindylou08 February 12th 2013, 3:19 pm

Hi
Hoping someone(anyone?) can help me with any info on this little slipware bowl marked SIWGR (Welsh for sugar). It's approx 3ins in diameter

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3315          Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3316  
Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3320     Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3321

and the incised mark appears to be 2 P's or even 2 swords   Pondering
Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3317       Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3318      Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Dscn3319

Here's hoping!
Thanks for looking
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 14th 2013, 9:27 am

Everything is pointing me to Llangollen Pottery , formerly Powell Pottery and I would date it around the early 1950's. Ed
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 14th 2013, 4:04 pm

Thanks big ed Excellent
Have looked at Llangollen/ Powell pottery posts here on the forum and elsewhere online.
You obviously have (had?) an interest in the pottery. There is mention of an 'incised Powell Pottery' mark - would that be abbreviated to PP ( rather than written in full) or would that be the potter. The only images I've managed to find are for Llangollen marks.
Would it have a value? especially as it's relatively early ( or vintage like me - born ' in the early 50s'!!)
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 14th 2013, 4:14 pm

Powell pieces are quire scarce , I believe various incised marks were used , they were quite sought after a few years ago , I haven't been keeping track of the pots for a while so I don't know how many collectors are around but yes it is more valuable than the sheeps cradle marked Llangollen pieces , I know Rhys Powell died, but his wife is still working doing mosaics and stuff if you can find their site and email she might help more , she has helped me in the past , yes good vintage the early 1950's same as me too Happy
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 14th 2013, 4:19 pm

info@cbdpools.co.uk

Try Emailing Jean Powell at this address , ED
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 18th 2013, 10:45 am

Just out of interest I Emailed the pottery and received confirmation that it was indeed made by Jean and her husband, Rhys 'Taffy' Powell, as Powell Pottery in 1951
Thanks for the contact info BigEd.

I intend to keep it and use it for its intended purpose although at first I did think SIWGR was an acronym - possibly for a railway   Rolling Eyes
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 18th 2013, 10:56 am

That's good news , make sure you don't damage it , there's not many about , Ed Most Excellent
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty unusual llangollen dish

Post by rosyrutter April 14th 2013, 9:21 pm

Hello there. I recently bought a Llangollen dish which looks very 1950's in design. It is white underneath and at the rim, changing to a powdery blue interior with loose hand painted decoration in green, grey, brown, black, orange. They may represent fruit or fish, not sure really. This one has an inscribed LLANGOLLEN and a cradle.
rosyrutter
rosyrutter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rosyrutter April 14th 2013, 9:30 pm

This is an image of the said dish.
http://rutterio.com//llanbollendish1.JPG
rosyrutter
rosyrutter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 14th 2013, 9:32 pm

Wonder if it is meant to be stylised corn on the cob? Very nice, whatever.
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Welsh pottery beakers - Llangollen pottery

Post by vanmann November 27th 2013, 1:27 pm

Looking for ID help please on this set of 4 small pots. Marked WALES and a bridgelike symbol. Would these be beakers or tea bowls or just small pots. All suggestions appreciated

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Potter29

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Potter30  Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Potter31

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Potter32
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed November 27th 2013, 2:07 pm

this is Langollen pottery , the mark represents a sheeps cradle .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by vanmann November 27th 2013, 2:38 pm

Thanks very much Ed, any idea of age or use?
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed November 27th 2013, 4:00 pm

sorry no idea ,john I haven't seen any of these before , maybe late 60's early 70's , I forget when the pottery closed down .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Karinclark May 28th 2014, 5:56 pm

Hi..I have the black version of Jonah and the Whale. I actually send pics off to Cardiff uni some years ago and they didnt know who it was by...now I know..I thought Portmeirion because it is similar to some of the early Portmeirion drizzle and dot type. All it says underneath is Wales and the back stamp. I will dig out or take new photos sometime. I did pay £30 for mine in Narberth Malt House Antique centre. She didnt know anything about it but I just loved it so much that I paid what she wanted as I knew that if I didnt I would always be sorry. I am from N Wales originally from Denbighshire..but I never thought of Llangollen.
Karinclark
Karinclark

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 28th 2014, 6:04 pm

Sometimes the Sheep Cradle mark is very faint on these pieces , but most have it .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Karinclark May 28th 2014, 6:10 pm

No its a very clear mark....do you know who designed it and who was the potter please.
Karinclark
Karinclark

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 28th 2014, 6:16 pm

I don't the designer Try Emailing Jean Powell , she will probably know
info@cbdpools.com
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Empty Jonah and the Wales, Llangollen Pottery.

Post by Karinclark June 8th 2014, 1:48 pm

Hope this helps. I am a new member so hope this is right. This is my Jonah and the Whale, I checked and I bought it in 2007...where has time gone...anyway thanks for identifying it for me. There is a clear stamp underneath and Wales.
Karinclark
Karinclark

Back to top Go down

Post by Karinclark June 8th 2014, 4:06 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63951304/DSC_0034.jpgPowell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Public
Karinclark
Karinclark

Back to top Go down

Post by Karinclark June 8th 2014, 4:09 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63951304/DSC_0035.jpg
Karinclark
Karinclark

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 8th 2014, 5:30 pm

Karinclark wrote:Thanks...I will give this a try...thanks for your help. Its a little like the one u posted a while back but the markings are different...if you want me to post the others pls let me know...thanks...K

Yes, please.  Excellent 

Here are your other photos -

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Whale110

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) - Page 3 Whale210

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum