Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom

4 posters

Go down

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Empty Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom

Post by Johners2000 February 27th 2017, 4:29 pm

Hi, This Dieter Kunzemann bowl has a second mark next to the studio mark - I wondered if anyone knows what/who it is?
Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Img_1422
Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Img_1423
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Empty Re: Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2017, 10:27 pm

I dont think it's Dieter Kunzmann's mark; its not in the Marks book.
Other Slipware potters did the wheat ear design

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Empty Re: Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom

Post by Johners2000 February 28th 2017, 9:38 am

I saw one on ebay that was exactly the same with the same mark - the one on ebay didn't have the MD mark but the other mark was the same. The person on ebay admitted that the mark was not exactly the same as the usual Dieter Kunzemann mark.

I also bought the bowl in Chipping Norton - which is only a few miles from Moreton-in-Marsh, were Dieter Kunzemann worked and lived - so I assumed.

Now I look at the marks I see they are too different and must be by someone else.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2017, 9:55 am

It might be a GK or CK mark

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon February 28th 2017, 12:48 pm

Could it be CK for Coldstone Kiln?

In his blog, Marshall Coleman mentions Michael Dixon as one of the throwers at Coldstone.
https://marshallcolman.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/cotswold-potteries-pleasant-environment.html
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2017, 1:36 pm

That would explain why the MD looks like Dixon's mark. He's now at Bartley Heath Pottery near North Warnborough so worth dropping him a line for confirmation

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 March 1st 2017, 8:13 am

I have emailed him to find out. I'll keep you posted.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 March 1st 2017, 11:30 am

Here's what I found out from a very helpful Mick Dixon.

"Yes that is one of mine it has not travelled far.
The clay we used was a body called St Thomas (which I still use now) mixed with a locally dug yellow clay. The glaze is a simple lead bisilicate glaze with added iron to give the honey colour. The pots were fired in electric kilns. Old photos off the pottery show a bottle kiln outside which Chris built but which apparently never worked!"

He also told me that the pottery was known as Coldstone Kiln Pottery which was run by Chris Harries.

Dieter Kunzemann was Chris's son-in-law but they fell out and Deiter left and set up on his own.

Mick Dixon worked as a thrower for Chris after he left art school in 1967 but left after a year because Chris was ill and he thought the pottery might close.

Mick Dixon confirmed that he used his personal MD mark on some of the pots he made there and that there was a CK mark for Coldstone Kiln.

So I guess my bowl is Coldstone Kiln (Chris Harries pottery) made by Mick Dixon and has nothing to do with Dieter Kunzemann.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 1st 2017, 12:01 pm

Brilliant Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Empty Mick Dixon, Hugh Allen, Coldstone Kiln

Post by NaomiM June 22nd 2018, 9:13 pm

Some more Coldstone Kiln marks

Mystery B mark - possibly Jo Berryman

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Is_a_c10

Mick Dixon’s MD mark -

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Mick_d10

HA mark, possibly Hugh Allen -

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Ck_mar10

Last edited by NaomiM on August 7th 2023, 3:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  Empty Slipware green jug - marks GP and CK - Pat Groom, Coldstone Kiln

Post by carolalev August 28th 2020, 12:23 pm

Would be very interested to know where this one was made. Thank you!

Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  20200813
Wheatsheaf slipware, Coldstone Kiln - Chris Harries, Mick Dixon, Pat Groom  20200812
carolalev
carolalev

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2019-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 28th 2020, 10:49 pm

Pat Groom, Coldstone Kiln

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by carolalev August 29th 2020, 9:48 am

Thank you. There was another Coldstone piece in the lot I bought - so that's interesting. And Winchcombe piece. Is it helpful if I add pictures to the strands for each pottery?
carolalev
carolalev

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 29th 2020, 1:29 pm

Yes, please add photos to the threads Most Excellent  They are very useful for research so the more the merrier :)  

Edited to say I decided not to merge this thread with the Coldstone one for the time being.

Last edited by NaomiM on February 19th 2021, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by carolalev August 29th 2020, 1:34 pm

Ok. I posted a few yesterday - but the light was great for the pictures so I have many!
carolalev
carolalev

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 29th 2020, 1:47 pm

Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum