I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot

4 posters

Go down

I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Empty I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot

Post by clueless58 August 3rd 2016, 7:43 pm

I'm trying to identify the maker of this Art Nouveau pot/vase.  It is lusterware, and only markings on the bottom is an incised O or D , and incised number T544 or 1544. Also what looks like an ink in glaze that is VI.
clueless58
clueless58

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-08-03

Back to top Go down

I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Empty Re: I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot

Post by Mordeep August 3rd 2016, 8:03 pm

Any chance of a picture?

But even without that VI is probably the date 6.

There is one well known English pottery that signed with roman numerals for the date, included a shape number and sometimes an artists monogram. That was Pilkington Royal Lancastrian. So you could have a lustre Vase by them in shape number 1544, dated 1906 and by the artist Dorothy Dacre who signed with a D. Get a picture loaded and we can confirm in about 10 seconds. If it is your very lucky they are all one offs and very collectable.

P.S

They also exhibited and sold in the States so it not unheard of them to turn up.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Empty Re: I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot

Post by clueless58 August 3rd 2016, 8:31 pm

I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Img_2711
I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Img_2710
I'm trying to identify the maker of an Art Nouveau pot Img_2712
clueless58
clueless58

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless58 August 3rd 2016, 8:37 pm

It's two different faces on either side, and the flowing red hair forms the handles
clueless58
clueless58

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep August 3rd 2016, 10:25 pm

Ok that's not Pilkington. It's not an English company that I have seen.

The glaze on this vase is a type of lustre that started in the 1920's, very oily with a rainbow sheen kind of like petrol (gasoline). The very early 1890-1910 lustres are European potters trying to recreate the Chinese stoneware and Spanish Moorish glazes they had seen. By the 1920's they are doing glazes no one had seen, they are not copies but something very new. This has it's origins in that.

The numbers you are seeing on the base here are almost certainly the design numbers for that type of vase. The VI looks to be the artists signature. It is by no means certain that the vase and decoration happened at the same time. Plain vase are often sold to artists to decorate.

Its origins are difficult to pin down withy handling it. If its 1920's it will have signs of wear to the base and could be Austrian. Or an American copy of an Austrian type of vase. If its not then a rather large world war and rationing pushes this to 1960s or even 1980's and it ups the chances it's American. You had revivals of this style in both eras. It is all about how it feels in the hand. A 90 year old vase feels its age.

If it was mine I would hope its 1920's but probably think its 1960's. That's a very 60's girl.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie32 August 4th 2016, 10:03 am

just a thought - the VI looks like 1/1 to me
debbie32
debbie32

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2016-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay August 6th 2016, 7:34 pm

Doesn't the style of numbering suggest European, rather than American? The '4' in particular is very Germanic.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep August 7th 2016, 5:54 am

Just to answer the previous couple of comments. The VI looking like 1/1 it could be but you can tell from the picture it has been applied over a glaze and then glazed over again. That normally indicates the vase was plain and then a design was added later. This would suggest its the artists initials rather than a design code.

As for the numbering style. It is indeed very Germanic but that is because nearly all letters are. The Germans has a strong influence in all printing having been pioneers in making the first machines. The fact this has been created using multiple individual stamps rather than a single evenly spread number stamp is not very German. Not to exclude anything though, we still don't know this vases origins.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie32 August 14th 2016, 7:04 pm

I wonder if it might be worth your while contacting this group on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172064556275668/
debbie32
debbie32

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2016-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum