Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping

2 posters

Go down

Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Empty Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping

Post by Mordeep July 6th 2016, 7:03 am

Hi all.

I am pretty good at early 20th late 19th century of art pottery normally but I am stuck on origin for this vase I am showing here.

It carries no marks although one of the children is wearing a paper hat with some fuzzy words. It stands a mighty 19 inches tall and picket up a firing crack to the base when new that some bugger in the past has filled poorly. One of the children also has a foot that needs putting back on *(I have it). It has all the signs of a very well made item of art pottery with a fair amount of age.

It was sold as possibly Minton but I am leaning towards an origin in France or Austria about 1890-1910

Anyone seen anything like it or would like to offer an opinion?

Thanks all

Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2518
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2519
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2517
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2516
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2515
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2514
Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2513
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Empty Re: Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping

Post by Mordeep July 6th 2016, 7:07 am

Could the second word on the second word on the left be IN and the last bit on the right a date? Or am I guilty of wishful thinking?

Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Img_2520
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping   Empty Re: Id request: Large art pottery vase of children scrumping

Post by debbie32 July 7th 2016, 1:56 pm

I love old art pottery and love researching, but this is driving me bonkers - a hat made out of a (news) paper with, I believe, random script like marks, bright almost designer like clothing similar to Victorian style clothes but not the dots and stripes? too well dressed to be Italian type early 20th century children but were they more into cherubs at that time? and maybe its just me but the two aspects - the vase and the figurative work don't seem to jell. Just thought I would add my thoughts - right or wrong - just to add to the discussion. I'm liking the idea of the picnic offering of bananas and 7up :)
debbie32
debbie32

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2016-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep July 7th 2016, 4:38 pm

If it is any help the vase was probably bought in or made by a different person at the same company than the artist who decorated it. It was very common back then. The tree part of the vase is painted on with multiple layers of different coloured clays a style of decoration I believe is called Impasto. The children are all individually made and then like the leaves are fixed to the body. Whoever made it spend an age doing those children alone, they are very good. The firing crack I put down to the multiple firings needed to get it all together.

Still no closer to an attribute but someone suggested French so that is now in the mix Shock
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum