Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials.

3 posters

Go down

Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Empty Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials.

Post by stardust* April 22nd 2016, 5:17 pm

It's not normally the kind of thing I pick up but I think this is beautiful. It's 9 inches across, clearly hand painted.
I'm trying to find a date for this, and the Doulton marks websites don't seem have this particular style of mark. I'd also like some help with the HM or WH can anyone help who knows more about Doulton Pottery?

Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Img_3216
Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Img_3217
Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Img_3218
Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Img_3219
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Empty Re: Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials.

Post by Mordeep April 22nd 2016, 5:35 pm

Not a hard one this. A quick google brings you this:

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/800.htm

Pinder was used as a mark up until 1882 then it then switches to Doulton to settle a debt. Don't know the design but I think you have a 90% chance its a one off by the artists who's mark is on the back. Pinder probably sold it as a plain charger than was then painted by an artist (normally an amateur woman) before firing. It was popular in the day to submit these into one of the many exhibition and competitions common in the late nineteenth century. Check out a company called Howell and James' Galleries who held lots of competitions for what I mean.

A nice thing. Enjoy it.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials. Empty Re: Doulton Burslem Flower Plate Help With Dating And Initials.

Post by stardust* April 22nd 2016, 6:25 pm

Thanks Mordeep for the great information..so it's pre-1882, wow.  I will take a look at the link.
It's an added bonus to know it's probably a one off by the artist marked on the back, there's probably not much chance of finding out who this person was, but it's beautiful and I will enjoy it, Thank you.
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump April 22nd 2016, 10:46 pm

Pinder Bourne.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* April 23rd 2016, 8:37 am

Could be the same artist? The style looks very similar...shame there's no other info.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/118571402661985624/
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep April 24th 2016, 9:22 pm

Pinder Bourne is the company who made the plate. But the artist is the HM or the O P who marked the back or the both of them (that's possible). Finding out the exact artist just by the initials is going to be very difficult or impossible. Although we have narrowed it down to before 1882 it can be narrowed further by it's look though. It's clearly inspired by Japanese design and this was the all the rage in Europe in the 1870's. For most this is called the aesthetic movement. Many artists became inspired by Japan after they reopened to the west after cutting themselves off for 200 year. Japan was very new and popular to late Victorians. Kind of like people copying the Beatles music in the 1960's everyone got inspired and this is the pottery version of what was popular. So its a good guess that its from the late 1870's.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum