E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ?

4 posters

Go down

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Empty E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ?

Post by brin mcardle Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 pm

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Copied31

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Copied34

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Copied32

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Copied33

This lady worked with her sister at Royal Worcester for years....the Kingfisher and Mouse are marked as shown....the Nuthatch has the full Royal Worcester mark...and even the blue post is signed E.L.Soper and 1930...which is odd as she was most known for her birds/animals. Any help much appreciated. I have spoken to the Royal Worcester Museum and their next identification day is in June !!
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Empty Re: E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ?

Post by Potty Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Post a picture of the Nuthatch base please?

Chances are the Nuthatch is Royal Worcester and the other 2 are not, but are blanks painted by the same artist. Looking at the base, they appear to be earthenware rather than porcelain anyway?

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Empty Re: E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ?

Post by brin mcardle Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Shall do tomorrow...think they are earthenware(why would she have painted them) ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 pm

brin mcardle wrote:Shall do tomorrow...think they are earthenware(why would she have painted them) ?

That is what paintresses do Cheeky Most Excellent

I'd assume it's something she did as a side line or maybe after leaving Royal Worcester. Quite a few Ex-Royal Worcester artists left and did their own thing.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Strange that she dated it 1930 ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 pm

According to the Royal Worcester Museum Eva Soper didn't work for the company before 1937.
http://www.museumofroyalworcester.org/learning/research/products/eva-sopers-birds/
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks Hercules....how bizarre..so i wonder if she did these as a hobby before she joned Worcester..they are bloody good
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:28 pm

Also odd to mark it with "England".
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Indeed
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:35 am

I'm not sure that she ever actually worked at the Worcester factory; she might just have supplied her models from her studio in Hertfordshire. Apparently she and her sister Eileen tended to be a bit reclusive. Nice etching of her at work on a bird model (looking very young) here:

http://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/page_id__256.aspx
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:25 am

i saw that...and her sister Eileen was a fine illustrator..and they lived together alone until they died...The Kingfisher is beautifully done but is bizarre they were dated so early...i might try facebook and any Royal Worcester collectors clubs..thanks for your help
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I don't really think its so bizarre: she had obviously been making them for years before someone at Worcester saw them and commissioned some to be  put into production. They wouldn't be likely to hire a beginner.

Are the kingfisher and the mouse moulded or hand-made?
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Not sure i can tell...i think hand made....i wonder if they are worth much
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:07 pm

E.L.Soper...Royal WorcesterExperts..Why are Kingfisher and Mouse hollow ? Copied46

As requested...the base of the Nuthatch
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum