Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery

5 posters

Go down

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Empty Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery

Post by FG4 April 18th 2016, 3:56 am

Hello-
I found this amazing mid century vase at an estate sale alongside some other stellar pottery.
The estate was of a woman who was a ceramics masters student at Denver University in the late 50's and early 60's. Alongside this amazing vase I also picked up; a Bernard Leach 'fish' bowl, a Janet Leach vase, 2 yunomis; 1 by William Marshall, 1 by Kenneth Quick, 2 other pieces I will also be asking for help with, and several other nice pieces. There were other pieces that I did not get by David Leach, more Bernard Leach pieces, several other Leach St Ives and other Cornwall potteries items, and a Jean Derval pitcher....among others.
This vase was among strong company to say the least.

I am still kind of dizzy from the experience...

It stands about 21 inches (53 cm) tall.

Please see attached and let me know what you think!
Thanks in advance for any info.

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Img_5517

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Img_5516

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Img_5518

Last edited by NaomiM on May 31st 2017, 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling...)
FG4
FG4

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-04-17

Back to top Go down

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Empty Re: Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery

Post by carlyoung April 18th 2016, 8:08 am

Alan Brough?
carlyoung
carlyoung

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Back to top Go down

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Empty Re: Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery

Post by FG4 April 18th 2016, 2:27 pm

Here are 2 more shots of the mark- sometimes the angles reveal more...

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Img_5519

Mid Century Vase - USA studio pottery  Img_5520
FG4
FG4

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 18th 2016, 2:37 pm

The style of pot and decoration doesn't look British (or Continental) to me, and I don't recognise the mark, so I'm reasonably sure it's by a US studio potter. Best to try the themarksproject.org website which lists many American studio pottery marks.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by FG4 April 18th 2016, 2:43 pm

Thanks Naomi- I have exhaustively searched The Marks Project ...to no avail. My inclination that it is not British either...due to style more than anything. I am sure I have seen something of similar style in past searches (looking for other pots/ marks), but this time I am not turning up anything remotely close... I will probably figure it out down the road when I am looking for something else!
FG4
FG4

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump April 18th 2016, 7:11 pm

This pot looks strangely unfinished.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7205
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by FG4 April 18th 2016, 10:33 pm

Does anyone else think it could it be Betty Blandino? (couldn't stop researching...)
FG4
FG4

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 18th 2016, 11:58 pm

When I saw the mark I thought it looked similar to her mark................................. but she didn't throw and this vase looks thrown. Her pots were coiled and thin walled and, although they varied, I have not seen anything by her remotely like this.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FG4 April 19th 2016, 10:29 pm

studio-pots wrote:... but she didn't throw and this vase looks thrown. Her pots were coiled and thin walled...
Thanks-
I had kinda deduced the same from looking through her work online, but I had to throw it out there. This is definitely thrown, and 100% not 'thin' in any aspect; it's very well thrown, just more of a 'crock' thickness and heft. 'Substantial' I would call it.
I think the 'house' shape of the indentation is what differs it from any of her marks I have seen (not to mention overall style, method, ect)
The search continues...
FG4
FG4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum