Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs?

4 posters

Go down

Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Empty Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs?

Post by stardust* March 27th 2016, 10:15 am

A free form lidded pot with volcanic texture, blues, greens and a golden shimmer. It's a really primitive piece, someones exploration of basic form and texture. It's so unusual I thought it was a hobby potter, but what interested me was the mark, Springfield?....never.
I found in the BSPM a matching mark, incised S for Gillian Anne Skiggs. The description of her work might suit the pot...metaphysical?...but I can't find one thing about her or any of her pots.
Please can anyone help, does anyone know if my mark id is right?  Has anyone seen anything else with this mark?
Gillian Skiggs has an entry in the marks book but nothing up to date. I've include my photo of the info just in case it's not in the older book.

Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Dsc02910
 Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Dsc02911
 Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Img_3010
 Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Img_3011
 Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Img_3012
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Empty Re: Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs?

Post by studio-pots March 27th 2016, 11:35 am

Part of the mark does look similar to the one in the book but the "gallows" on the base of your pot looks to be part of the mark too or does it not look that way in reality? The description from BSPM does fit.

However, an important point to note is that having a mark in BSPM doesn't mean that the potter is important or even a "professional". When Yates-Owen and Fournier were compiling the first edition they put out a call to anyone making pots or person, who had potted in the past, to send them their details. These were included, as the purpose of the book was to include every mark than it could and not to be a selection of important studio potters.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs? Empty Re: Volcanic Textured Primitive Pot. S incised. Gillian Skiggs?

Post by stardust* March 27th 2016, 11:46 am

The second mark does look like gallows...I was ignoring that one!
Interesting information about the BSPM book, I didn't know it was put together that way...very good to know for the future. Thanks SP
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 27th 2016, 12:02 pm

Yes, basically if I had made a few pots at evening class and had submitting my details and a mark then I would be included.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 27th 2016, 1:19 pm

Is the new edition more discerning?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 27th 2016, 1:46 pm

Nice surface Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 27th 2016, 9:06 pm

dantheman wrote:Is the new edition more discerning?

No because it includes all of the original information.

Unfortunately, people often think that if someone is mentioned in the BSPM book that it means that the potters work is important/worthy or whatever. That's not the case.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum