Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID?

Go down

Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? Empty Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID?

Post by Squidsworth March 9th 2016, 10:29 am

Dear Community

If anyone could help with likely origins/style/age or any other relevant info on this small lidded stoneware box it would be appreciated.  I really like this item, it has something about it when handled/seen in real life. :-)

Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 610Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6a10
Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6b10Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6c10
Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6d10Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6e10
Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6f10Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6g10
Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? 6h10

All items I've posted were part of a house clearance sale and likely come from the same place, and I got many more none pottery related items ageing between 1900s- early 1980s.  So its likely this item fits somewhere in that period.

Many thanks
Paul
Squidsworth
Squidsworth

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? Empty Re: Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID?

Post by NaomiM March 9th 2016, 10:41 am

Tbh I think it's a hobby potter. It's the sort of piece I was taught to make in pottery class.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 24573
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID? Empty Re: Unmarked Small Lidded Stoneware Box - Any Info/ID?

Post by Squidsworth March 9th 2016, 12:51 pm

Many thanks for your input, I'll probably accept that's going to be the case then. :-)

Just out of interest, how do you distinguish something from being a hobbyist doing something for their own pleasure or someone doing something as an individual but intended for sale? My understanding was post war a number of individuals started creating their own wares often to sell locally rather than being affiliated to a something on a larger scale.  I even read a lot of farmers started doing their own 'studio pottery' on a very local/small scale.  If that's the case I guess many one of a kind pieces exist out there that aren't really known about but at least these sort of forums can bring them to the fore and they can be enjoyed, regardless of provenance.  And at least someone treasured them enough to keep them in existence, and it's now down to me to do that for this and the other pieces I've posted, since they are probably largely unloved.  But my wife just thinks I'm a hoarder of junk. Lol.   :-)
Squidsworth
Squidsworth

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 9th 2016, 12:57 pm

as a rule quality and technique separates the two, as Naomi has said, the pottery courses are full coil pots, rough looking slab builds,thickly thrown pots and dodgy decoration which are the tell tale signs of the hobby potter

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14895
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum