stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,

3 posters

Go down

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Empty stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,

Post by Squash February 25th 2016, 1:33 am

I have this glazed stoneware plate with handles from the 60s or 70s, I think, with blue floral decoration and two stamps on the back.  It measures about 12" across and weighs over 2 pounds.  I would be grateful for any information anyone might be able to give me -- possibly someone knows what the maker's mark is? Thanks very much!

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Img_2019

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Img_2021

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Img_2022
Squash
Squash

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-02-24

Back to top Go down

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Empty Re: stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,

Post by NaomiM February 25th 2016, 11:31 am

Looks like BT and FP marks. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with US potters

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,  Empty Re: stoneware plate with handles - Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany,

Post by Squash February 25th 2016, 9:02 pm

Thank you! I actually don't know why I assumed this was American. Just because I acquired it in the U.S. doesn't mean anything. The closest in style I've seen through random internet searches is Robert Tinnyunt who's British.
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 25th 2016, 9:56 pm

Useful site for US marks. Unfortunately I couldn't find these ones on it

http://themarksproject.org

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 25th 2016, 10:42 pm

Yes, thank you, I did look there. Do you think it's possible this is British? I have no idea how to tell where it's from by the style, but perhaps I should be looking at British marks instead...?
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 25th 2016, 11:12 pm

They're not in my 1999 copy of the British Studio Pottery Marks book, but it's possible it's in the latest edition

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 26th 2016, 10:10 pm

Thanks again! Is there any way to tell British vs American pottery by looks or style?
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 26th 2016, 11:00 pm

subtle differences in style,we look at millions of British pots so when it doesn't quite fit we know it's foreign

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 26th 2016, 11:06 pm

Thanks, that's sort of what I figured. I am just starting to learn about pottery and realize that it's quite complicated. So, then, -- do you think this is American, or British?
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 27th 2016, 12:03 am

not British but I know next to nothing about American pottery

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 27th 2016, 1:44 am

Thanks! Me neither!
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2016, 2:04 am

It does look like a professional piece. The glaze colours are unusual and point to a US origin, but the rest could easily be British. Maybe by someone trained by someone who was originally at St Ives.
I'll ask some US collectors I know and see if they recognise the marks.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 27th 2016, 2:13 am

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you.

OK, this is dumb, but when you say it looks like a "professional" piece, do you mean you think it was made by an actual named studio potter rather than a student or amateur?
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2016, 2:33 am

Yes, made by a trained and experienced potter.
A US friend has just got back to me to say they also have a piece by this potter which is stamped and signed but they only have a partial ID. The first mark is actually AP for A. Patrick. Made in the '90s
The search goes on :)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 27th 2016, 2:40 am

Wow, thanks! I never would've seen AP in that mark.

So now I have a second question: why would there be two marks, and would a partial ID mean one had identified only the studio and not the particular potter, or something else?
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2016, 2:47 am

The second mark is likely to be the pottery name, which is likely to be its location; a village or town or just the building name. So far we only know the potter's surname and initial.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2016, 12:59 pm

Just had a positive ID -

Alan Patrick, Bethel Pike Pottery, Albany, Indiana

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squash February 27th 2016, 1:26 pm

Thank you so much! You and your friend have been so helpful!
Squash
Squash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum