Small Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium?

3 posters

Go down

Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Empty Small Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium?

Post by lorrgeno February 12th 2016, 7:57 pm

Im guessing this 5 1/2" vase isnt a US piece as the shape reminds me of my Belgium pottery. The red clay color makes me think Germany, maybe?
I puts some corn starch on the E G mark to make it stand out. Im not crazy about the style but love the glaze colors. What you see are a lot of reflections as I had to take the pictures outside
Any ID? Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Img_0711
Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Img_0712
Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Img_0713
lorrgeno
lorrgeno

Female Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Empty Re: Small Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium?

Post by Mordeep February 13th 2016, 9:44 am

God that's a real mixture of styles you have on that pot. The pie crust top and drip glaze remind me of European pottery from England and the low countries (France, Belgium, Netherlands). The way handles are formed and the design point to a more Mediterranean origin though. The colour of the clay could point to origin but it's not something I associate with Germany as suggested. I think it is one of two things, Spanish who often combine bright colours and mix up styles. Or a very real possibility is what you take to be EG is not that at all and its Moroccan with an Arabic script signature. The colours, style and that white wash base are very Moroccan. I would guess made sometime between 1950 and last week.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Small  Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium? Empty Re: Small Double handled Vase ID - French? Belgium?

Post by NaomiM February 13th 2016, 5:26 pm

My thought was Accolay, France because of the bright glaze colours, but they usually sign them Accolay

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lorrgeno February 14th 2016, 1:32 am

NaomiM wrote:My thought was Accolay, France because of the bright glaze colours, but they usually sign them Accolay

Thank you, and I do hope you know I mean it. It's an odd piece and looks like it could possibly be a ceramic studio student piece. Perhaps someone brought it home to the US on a vacay
lorrgeno
lorrgeno

Female Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 14th 2016, 2:17 pm

It's very possible Happy

(I've dewibbled the thread because it was going off course)

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum