Waretigo
Davee
Pip
lyndhurst44
dantheman
56 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Empty Re: Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster)

Post by big ed August 11th 2010, 7:23 pm

clappy1 wrote:
big ed wrote:Hi johnathon , maybe a daft question , but was John's piece's marked or signed as such as opposed to other hornsea designers , Ed Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 314189

Hello Ed,

Throughout the time John was at the Pottery, he was'nt allowed to sign pieces. All the work produced had to say "designs by the Hornsea Design Team". All my father's work since leaving the Pottery is signed by him and sometimes dated. These designs have been available through the Hornsea Pottery Collectors society who hold meetings throughout the year, you just need to become a member. John usually attends these and often gives talks.

Thank you

Jonathan
Thanks Johnathon , also love the cat , if you hadn't shown it , I would have sworn it was a Scandi Cat Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 677383
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Empty Re: Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster)

Post by clappy1 August 11th 2010, 7:26 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f31/15/51/85/36/img_0513.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f31/15/51/85/36/img_0412.jpg

Sorry, these are the only two other's I have to hand as 1-5 are duplicates of the same pictures!

Rgds
Jonathan
clappy1
clappy1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-08-10

Back to top Go down

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Empty Jonathan Clappison

Post by clappy1 August 12th 2010, 8:17 pm

dantheman wrote:did John make these very recently?

Hello Dantheman,

John made the cat around 6 months ago, the other muramics are around a year old. It is really wonderful to find out what his next little creation is going to be, some are sensible and some just have that unique Clappison twist, it usually depends on what his recent experiences have been, and then he will theme it around them.

Thank you

Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 12th 2010, 8:24 pm

has John done any sculptural pieces?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 12th 2010, 8:30 pm

skay wrote:Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 996431 The recent things are great in such a different way to the older stuff. How old is your Dad now Jonathan - if that's not a rude question?

xx

Hello Skay,

My dad is the ripe old age of 73, so it's nice to see his creative juices have not dryed up completely yet? It keeps him out of mischief, and it gives my mum a bit of peace too.

Thank you

Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free August 12th 2010, 8:36 pm

I love the wall hangings - the angel is my fave but the first geometric one you posted is gorgeous also - mmm spoilt for choice.

I have a mermaid but it's the only one I have.
m

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Hornse10
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 12th 2010, 8:52 pm

has your dad ever talked to you about going to the Gustavsberg factory and meeting Stig Lindberg + Gunnar Nylund?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 12th 2010, 9:01 pm

dantheman wrote:has your dad ever talked to you about going to the Gustavsberg factory and meeting Stig Lindberg + Gunnar Nylund?

He went over there this February, and he loved it. These are two of his favourate designers! He may have met stig when he was younger, but I will have to ask him for sure.

Thanks Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 12th 2010, 9:12 pm

I know he went in the early 60's with Bob Hindle,I'm glad they made an impression as they are my favorite Scandinavian designers too

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 12th 2010, 9:55 pm

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 11-8010[/quote]

and did he make any pieces similar to this one? It is possibly my favorite ceramic design of all time[/quote]

have you seen this piece in the flesh Jonathan?

Last edited by dantheman on May 26th 2015, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 13th 2010, 12:57 pm

dantheman wrote:
dantheman wrote:
dantheman wrote:http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Decade-changed-world/article-655724-detail/article.html

In this interview with Clappison,I was interested to read that in 1966 he was given free time to make what he liked,this was the time when he produced his best piece simply called 'the girl'

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 11-8010
Hello Dantheman, John has not got one of these models. This was the only bust he did, and only a few dozen were made. These are now very rare, happy hunting!

and did he make any pieces similar to this one? It is possibly my favorite ceramic design of all time

clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 15th 2010, 4:58 pm

flying free wrote:I love the wall hangings - the angel is my fave but the first geometric one you posted is gorgeous also - mmm spoilt for choice.

I have a mermaid but it's the only one I have.
m

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Hornse10
One of my Dad's recent pieces is on Ebay at the moment, if you are interested?
James Miles is selling it?

Kind regards

Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 15th 2010, 5:17 pm

[quote="clappy1"][quote="dantheman"]
dantheman wrote:
dantheman wrote:http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Decade-changed-world/article-655724-detail/article.html

In this interview with Clappison,I was interested to read that in 1966 he was given free time to make what he liked,this was the time when he produced his best piece simply called 'the girl'

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 11-8010
Hello Dantheman, John has not got one of these models. This was the only bust he did, and only a few dozen were made. These are now very rare, happy hunting!

and did he make any pieces similar to this one? It is possibly my favorite ceramic design of all time

I have not seen one in the flesh, but I have seen the original design brief. If you are intersted in a copy
I can ask my dad to photo copy it?

Regards

Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 23rd 2010, 12:08 pm

John has kindly sent me the design brief,I'm astounded that the design wasn't put into production and can only assume that it wasn't viable due to production costs?
Would you mind asking your father please Jonathan?

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 Clappi10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 24th 2010, 8:49 pm

dantheman wrote:John has kindly sent me the design brief,I'm astounded that the design wasn't put into production and can only assume that it wasn't viable due to production costs?

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will ask John some more information regarding production costs on this piece. I know it was extremely time consuming and involved many layers and processes.

Cheers Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 August 24th 2010, 8:58 pm

skay wrote: Laughter I also like the first paragraph about the breasts etc - you'd be 'ad up' if that was put in writing in these pc days. Big Laughter

xx
That's true, the Worlds P.C. mad now!
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 24th 2010, 9:10 pm

clappy1 wrote:
dantheman wrote:John has kindly sent me the design brief,I'm astounded that the design wasn't put into production and can only assume that it wasn't viable due to production costs?

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will ask John some more information regarding production costs on this piece. I know it was extremely time consuming and involved many layers and processes.

Cheers Jonathan.

I would love to know how many were made,I only know of one but I live in hope

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 29th 2010, 11:35 am

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 00125

Hornsea Pottery (E Yorks & Lancaster) - Page 3 00222

John Clappison design 1977

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by andywooders October 3rd 2010, 11:10 am

Hi Jonathan
Im not sure if i have met you but I have been to your house quite a few years ago to meet your wonderful dad. Im a Yorkshire guy too. I sent some time looking through various files and things-wonderful. Your mum thought I would get bored eventually-no so!!

I am still hoping to get a publisher for a book on your day:Contemporary Hornsea: John Clappison 1955-1972 but I also want to include all his other design work
andrew
andywooders
andywooders

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 3rd 2010, 11:13 am

you must have a great Hornsea collection Andy?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by andywooders October 3rd 2010, 11:20 am

Hi Dan
Suprisingly I dont have much Hornsea. My connection with Hornsea is very different. To me John Clappison was the only designer in UK to get good design on the dinner tables of ordinary people. I feel other designers did not achieve this.

I mainly collect Susie Cooper-I met her in 1990-that was exciting. I would really love to write a book on John Clappison-he is such a great man and so down to earth. I went to the Hornsea Pottery with school when I was about 11. All I can remember is all the girls wearing Bay City Rollers outfits.

Im new to this site and i am enjoying it very much indeed. I love ceramics.Just been over to Arabia in Helsinki-wonderful. Sneaked into the Savoy Restaurant to see the Aalto interior!!!!!
cheers
andrew
andywooders
andywooders

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 3rd 2010, 11:35 am

That's great! We have very little information relating to Hornsea and non about Susie Cooper so if you feel like letting us know about your 2 passions then I look forward to reading your posts Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by clappy1 October 3rd 2010, 6:41 pm

Hello Andy,

It is great you have joined the forum!. I do remember you visiting my dad a
few years ago. I hope your well, and I will pass on your best regards to John and Liz. I'm sure they would welcome you to visit them again in the future and discuss any future book publishings, then my dad can update you on all his more recent designs? That is of course, if you have the time?

Kind regards

Jonathan.
clappy1
clappy1

Back to top Go down

Post by andywooders October 10th 2010, 12:11 am

Hi Dan
I would love to send you some info and images about Susie Cooper
also I have some pics of John Clappison Muramic tiles which i could send in subject to permission of course via Jonathan
andrew
andywooders
andywooders

Back to top Go down

Post by andywooders October 10th 2010, 7:25 pm

erm-Im a good writing but bad at it-I have tried to upload stuff but it doesnt seem to work for me-that is-I will try again

I was wondering if you would like me to upload info on Susie Cooper with some supporting images such as her Festival of Britain stuff!!
andrew
andywooders
andywooders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum