Ai Weiwei exhibition

3 posters

Go down

Ai Weiwei exhibition Empty Ai Weiwei exhibition

Post by studio-pots November 17th 2015, 2:50 pm

Yesterday I went along to this exhibition at the Royal Academy, which continues until 13 December, and came away enjoying it more that I imagined I would.

The problem for me was always going to be that I believe art should need no explanation but should "speak to you" and with this show that was never going to be the case.

Without the audio commentary and the explanation on the walls you would miss much of the meaning of the work. However, there are still some powerful pieces that need no explanation and some humourous touches too.

If after seeing the exhibition you feel you needed to buy a little something to remind you of your visit there are the usual books and card but also some small (approx. 3 inches across) exquisite porcelain chrysanthemums. These are in a limited edition of I think 60 and I suspect that he had them made to his specifications by a fine craftsman but you do get a card along with the flower signed and number by Weiwei. A snip at £14,000 each.

Last edited by studio-pots on November 17th 2015, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Ai Weiwei exhibition Empty Re: Ai Weiwei exhibition

Post by studio-pots November 17th 2015, 2:54 pm

One of the exhibits was the pot below, which does fall into the remit of this Forum.

Although the pot itself is Han Dynasty (206 BC to 220 AD) Weiwei decided that it needed a little touching up in the late 20th century.

Ai Weiwei exhibition Han_po10

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed November 17th 2015, 3:08 pm

I'm not a fan of this guy at all Nuh-huh
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot November 17th 2015, 5:22 pm

I enjoyed the exibition more than I thought I would but didn't go for the explanations some of which I found a bit tedious being told something is difficult to make for instance, the historical aspect is important but I felt most of the show just stood on its own, he nicked my Idea of cubic metres but there you go
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum