stardust*
NaomiM
sunnyices2
Jeffingtons
AlanH
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Empty Bretby - but not Clanta?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 am

Very similar to the Clanta vase but not stamped the same.
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Bret110
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Bret_210

Back to top Go down

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Empty Re: Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd

Post by denbydump Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12 pm

The shape is from 1914, but I don't know if it has a "name" as such.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Empty Re: Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks, I know Bretby is difficult to date and the pattern numbers don't always go in date order!?

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Yes the shape numbers (if the piece has one) are documented,
but they did thousands of designs.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Empty Bretby. Or is it?

Post by Grumpy Grandad Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:21 pm

On the face of it this is clearcut. It's a vase with a transfer printed 'Indian Tree' type pattern, and clearly marked 'Bretby England 1165' underneath.
However, there's something about it that doesn't seem right and I can't quite put my finger on why. It just doesn't look like a Bretby piece, I can't ever recall seeing an Indian Tree type of pattern on Bretby, it appears too new, and I don't recall seeing Bretby marked like this one.
What do you knowledgeable folk think? Is it a very late piece of Bretby or a modern fake?

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 20200364
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 20200365

Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 pm

They did do some pretty mundane stuff in the later years.
Not sure why anyone would go to the trouble of faking it.
The specific mark is not in the book. The shape number, if correct is from 1897,
but they could just have re-used an old mould.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47 pm

It's a pleasant enough vase, I suppose, and I do like the shape, but Bretby is the last name I'd have expected to see on its bum. Johnson Brothers would have been my guess as Indian Tree was one of their more popular ranges. It still sells quite well on ebay with almost half of all listings selling.
Still, Bretby it is, then. I don't deal in pots nor sell on ebay (too much hassle these days, and apparently telling the chancers to f@#k off gets one negative feedback, plus the rules are too heavily weighted in favour of the buyers - even the blatant cheats) so I've got a feeling it might find its way to a charity shop.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Akelly84 Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:27 am

Hello - I’m new around here. I pick up bits and pieces here and there and would really like to learn what to look for, to pick up those more expensive pieces. My first half decent find is this Bratby bowl. I was able to research the era (1920’s). I’d be appreciative of any more info and whether or not this particular piece is common or worth anything to a collector. The letters LS are near the number, I’m not sure what these mean. . Thank you.

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 499f3610
Akelly84
Akelly84

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Akelly84 Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 A2157710
Akelly84
Akelly84

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Bretby has fallen out of fashion these days so not particularly collectible, even though there are some lovely pieces out there. Best to check sold and completed listings on eBay for an idea of what buyers are prepared to pay for them.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akelly84 Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Thank you for your opinion. I had checked Enay, however only a small number of items are listed and non like my piece. I may just take a gamble and list and see what happens. Thanks again.
Akelly84
Akelly84

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Akelly84 wrote:Thank you for your opinion. I had checked Ebay, however only a small number of items are listed and non like my piece. I may just take a gamble and list and see what happens. Thanks again.

One of the reasons that we don't give price suggestions here is that they change continuously and will always depend of where and who is selling a specific piece.

I am old enough to remember the days when "Art Pottery" was popular here in the UK and I used to sell it myself. Even back then Bretby, which falls into this category, was not well regarded and it was only some of the earlier pieces that were sought after i.e. before 1914 but especially 19th century pieces.

Your bowl appears to me to be part of the Nerton Ware range that consisted of glaze effects and the colour is probably what was described as "Gold-stone". This range was brought into production in 1920 but the shape number code on the bottom of your bowl suggests to me that your piece is post 1925.

I suspect that your bowl will sell to someone that likes the shape and the colour rather than a specific Bretby collector, if such a person exists.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Shape No2806 was introduced in the early 1920s.
I would suggest it is a bulb bowl.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

While tidying up I came across the following story: -

It appears that when Neville Chamberlain went to Munich in 1938 for his famous/infamous meeting with Adolf Hitler he took along a Bretby jug in the shape of George VII as a gift for Hilter. This jug when raised played the national anthem and it is said that Hitler was delighted with the gift. So much so that he instructed that it was taken to his air raid shelter when alerts occurred.

Not sure how true it is but that should get in the way of a good story.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:27 pm

denbydump wrote:Shape No2806 was introduced in the early 1920s.
I would suggest it is a bulb bowl.

Some years ago I was able to find out that shape 2326 was introduced in 1924 and I suggested post 1925 for this bowl as I have assumed that shape numbers got higher the later they were introduced. Obviously, that assumption might not be correct.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Akelly84 Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Thank you for your knowledge sharing, very much appreciated. I love learning about the history of these odds and sods I come across. The Hitler story is interesting, even if unverified, I’ll run with that.

Last edited by Akelly84 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akelly84
Akelly84

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Assuming the numbers are consecutive, 2326 would be during WW1.
From the basic guide given in the Bretby book.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Akelly84 Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Thank you Denbydump - for the shape and clarification of bowl shape as well, really useful to know. I just adore the colour.
Akelly84
Akelly84

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:25 pm

denbydump wrote:Assuming the numbers are consecutive, 2326 would be during WW1.
From the basic guide given in the Bretby book.

I was going to write that I couldn't remember where I got my information about 1924 from, which is still the case but I have found the following quotes. These come from the Encyclopaedia of British Art Pottery by Victoria Bergesen (edited by Geoffrey Godden) published in 1991.

These are direct quotes from two editions of The Pottery & Glass Trade Review at the time: -

(i) September 1921 - "Nerton Ware in shapes from 68 to 2217, and Carved Bamboo Wares in shapes from 901 to 2492."
(ii) April 1925 "the firm was employing some 2600 models" i.e. shapes.

These don't marry with shape 2326 being introduced in 1924 though.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:36 am

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Sam_3915
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Sam_3914
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Sam_3916

I'm assuming this is a shape 39 bowl. One in the V&A is credited to Woodville and as having been designed in 1950. Muted greenish colour with slightly brown marks and breaks in the glaze.
slopingsteve
slopingsteve

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2013-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Bretby bear with bowl. I’ve found similar bears on tree shaped vases but not one with a bowl. Partial stamp. Seems to be numbered 1246A and 4652?

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Ec806d10
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 2335d010
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 A1f7fe10
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 0125e910

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 Empty Vase, No.7 Dragon England - probably Bretby

Post by NaomiM Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:31 pm

Chinese style, Bronze-effect pottery vase. Bretby, maybe? Reg no: 81652?

Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 2534e810
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 61413310
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 43f1cb10
 Bretby Art Pottery - Henry Tooth & Co. Ltd - Page 3 B6cfc810

Last edited by NaomiM on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Rd for 1887. There is a Bretby Dragon vase from this period, of "pressed" construction,
with serpents and handles. After 1915 they were made cheaper by using moulds, and
in the process lost the handles. The were done in monochrome glazes, including the
bronze effect. I suspect No7 is the size, or a design variation.
I would be pretty confident it is Bretby.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:19 pm

I go Bretby, to!
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Cheers :)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum