Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?

3 posters

Go down

Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Empty Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?

Post by Marcusborra September 22nd 2015, 9:29 pm

I'm sure I've seen this mark before but it eludes me at the moment. Looks like AM but could be AW

Height: 14cm

Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Marksp35Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Marksp36
Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Marksp37
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Empty Re: Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?

Post by studio-pots September 23rd 2015, 10:49 am

It's a shame that Alan Brough is no longer around to ask about this mark but I am very doubtful that it is by him.

The marks book does say that he used a painted or inscibed mark that was an AB signature but the indications are that this was pre-Leach Pottery when he worked in London i.e. in the 1950s and 60s pre 1968. I know that for some of this period at least he worked in red earthenware and that work didn't look like this with brush decoration. In fact brush decoration isn't something I associate with Alan Brough.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?  Empty Re: Painted mark on vase AM or AB - Alan Brough or Alan Beastow?

Post by NaomiM September 23rd 2015, 11:38 am

His son Adrian is still potting. Worth asking him. He's on Facebook.

Edited to add, Adrian was shown a similar written one and said it wasn't his father's mark. Probably Alan Beastow

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum