old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?

3 posters

Go down

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  Empty old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Can anyone help with this please, where it may have been made? age?

to touch, it is inscribed inside the rim but difficult to read, may be a date 1787  1807?

any help much appreciated.

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  2012-037

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  2012-038

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  2012-040

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  2012-041

Back to top Go down

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  Empty Re: old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?

Post by Mordeep Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Looks like a very rustic bit of agate/slipwear. You could get very old trying to pin point the origin of something like this. My guess is an English country potter and intended for local use. The base has been ground down to indicate that when it was made the glaze pooled at the bottom and it needed to be corrected to be made stable. As for age, these things have been around for centuries. If you can prize out a date and name from your pictures that is your best hope. Other than that it would get a very wide raging attribute for origin and date, anything from 1870 downwards a couple of hundred years and English.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?  Empty Re: old agateware - Sussex ware, Uckfield?

Post by studio-pots Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:20 pm

This type of ware wasn't really made by local country (village) potteries but became popular in the late 18th/early 19th centuries in urban potteries, as a less rustic form of decoration.

I'm not an expert but the top looks an interesting shape and might be of use for identifying.

There were many potteries in and around Halifax and others up at Whalley near Burnley so several options your way.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks Mordeep, much appreciated and for your suggestion it being English I didn't have a clue : )

Ive tried all the normal ways rubbing/cornflour and cant get that info Waaah will try again when my patience returns: )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:29 pm

studio-pots wrote:This type of ware wasn't really made by local country (village) potteries but became popular in the late 18th/early 19th centuries in urban potteries, as a less rustic form of decoration.

I'm not an expert but the top looks an interesting shape and might be of use for identifying.

There were many potteries in and around Halifax and others up at Whalley near Burnley so several options your way.

Thanks SP,
I hadn't given any thought to the top shape  Doh!  I will see what I can find.
Smush

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm

When I struggle with marks I often use a macro setting on my camera. Then transfer the picture to my computer. It's  amazing what you can see when you zoom in on these tiny images. I have heard but not tried that different shade/colour effects can also make difficult writing easier to read on a computer but not seen the results myself.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks M, I will give macro a try Smush

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Oooh, very nice! I believe it's Sussex ware, possibly by Benjamin Ware and Sons of Uckfield. I have a candlestick in a similar marbled clay.

There are other examples via this Pinterest link

http://pinterest.com/pin/175077504239092753/

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Let me know if you decide to get rid of it :)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks Naomi, really appreciated.
It does look very similar to both pieces.

Cheers my dear Smush

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum