studio-pots
r-and-f
NaomiM
RoyJ99
Jeffingtons
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Empty Re: Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries

Post by r-and-f June 14th 2018, 5:03 pm

A slipware casserole dish made at Alex Sharp's Morar Pottery in the 1950s. But I don't think it's of sufficiently good quality to have been thrown by Alex. I have set out my reasons for this opinion in my new blog posting at https://random-treasure.com/2018/06/14/expert-connoisseur/

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 20180610

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 20180611
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Empty Alex Sharp pot with Leach pottery mark

Post by FaithfullJohn January 26th 2023, 2:14 pm

Here's a rare and lovely wee pot by Alex Sharp, with his stamp, and the Leach Pottery stamp. Made during, or just post-WW2 when he worked with Bernard Leach at St Ives. My mum worked with Alex at the Highland Home Industries pottery that Alex subsequently ran at Morar, and he provided the HHI support for her pottery, building her kiln in Mull in 1951-2. She owned this pot, and several other beautiful ones by Alex. We donated some of them, including this one, to National Museums of Scotland in 2021.

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Alex_s11
Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Alex_s12
FaithfullJohn
FaithfullJohn

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2023-01-11

Back to top Go down

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Empty Alex Sharp tenmoku yunomi: prixe winner at DArtington, 1952

Post by FaithfullJohn January 26th 2023, 2:31 pm

... and another beautiful Alex Sharp pot owned by my mum, now given to National Museums of Scotland. This pot won a prize for tenmoku at the 1952 Dartington Conference. As well as the AS stamp, it has an MP mark - made by Alex at Morar Pottery. It would be good to track down more information about this, and other prizes at Dartington that year. Anybody know where the relevant archives might be?

Sorry for the terrible blurred pic of the marks. The pot went to NMS befroe I realised that I didn't have a decent pic of the mark :(

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Alec_s10
Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Alec_s11
Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Alec_s12
FaithfullJohn
FaithfullJohn

Back to top Go down

Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries - Page 2 Empty Re: Alexander (Alex) Sharp, Morar & Bute Potteries

Post by studio-pots January 27th 2023, 2:03 pm

studio-pots wrote:Living in the south, Alex Sharp is not someone that I had heard of. However, the reference to him working at the Leach Pottery got me digging, as with that connection I thought that the name ought to have rung a bell.

Therefore it seems as if Sharp was at the Leach Pottery at some point during the 1940s. At that time production would have concentrated on producing pots for use rather than for decorative purposes. Therefore I suspect little or no individual work (except by Bernard) would have been produced so I'm not hopeful of any work by Alex at the Leach Pottery being found with a personal seal.

Thank you for the recent images John and it did prove me wrong when I wrote the above in 2015 about finding a Leach Pottery pot with a personal seal!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FaithfullJohn January 27th 2023, 6:16 pm

Happy
FaithfullJohn
FaithfullJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum