Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? Empty Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery?

Post by jessdegarmo April 7th 2015, 11:36 pm

HI!
I am new here, and I"m delighted to be among fellow enthusiasts! While I mainly collect vintage and depression glass, every once in a while I find something entirely different that speaks to me, such is the case with my little mystery peasant girl.

I got her at a thrift store for a dollar (US). I was drawn to her because there was a certain look about her that I found intriguing. I also liked the fact that the potter chose to leave the girl's face and arms unglazed, presumably to give her a more natural skin color. When I turned her over, I found that she was signed. The potter etched his signature into the clay as well as the word Hungary. And therein lies the issue. I can't read his writing! I'm not sure if it is because it is written in Hungarian or if it's just a tad messy. :)
There is also a penciled-in BA 55, which may be a batch or series number?
In any event, anything you could tell me about my little girl would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect values or any other sort of appraisals, but the name of the artist would be very helpful! Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? <a href=Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? 20150314" />
Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? <a href=Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? 20150315" />Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? <a href=Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? 20150317" />[img]Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? 20150318[/img]

Last edited by jessdegarmo on April 7th 2015, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed pictures)
jessdegarmo
jessdegarmo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-04-07

Back to top Go down

Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? Empty Re: Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery?

Post by styleinvasion April 7th 2015, 11:52 pm

Do you had a look there?
http://www.magyarkeramia.hu/keramia/ker_eng.htm
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery? Empty Re: Anyone know anything about Hungarian Folk or Figural pottery?

Post by jessdegarmo April 7th 2015, 11:59 pm

No, I hadn't yet. I'll check it out. Any quess on what the signature might be?
jessdegarmo
jessdegarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by styleinvasion April 8th 2015, 12:04 am

Unfortunately i don't have an idea so far...
but woild like to know if you find an id there...
or maybe somebody knows it here
anyway good luck
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessdegarmo April 8th 2015, 12:15 am

Thanks! I checked the site you sent, and it looks most like Mária Ráhmer, but the mark isn't right and I don't believe she was in Hungary at the time this figure was made. So, back to square one! Very interesting, how many artists are out there making this gorgeous stuff.
jessdegarmo
jessdegarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum