PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery

4 posters

Go down

PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery Empty PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 4:40 pm

Admin wrote:
The Ceramic Review has several listings for Philip Stanbridge from the early 80s:
1981- 36 Lee Road, London
1984- The Woolwich Pottery, 2A Parry Place, London

PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery Malver22

i'm sure a similar mark was up for ID recently
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery Empty Re: PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 4:41 pm

PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery Malver23
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery Empty Re: PSJ mark, Philip Stanbridge, The Woolwich Pottery

Post by NaomiM February 15th 2015, 4:42 pm

We did. One of our new members (or might have been on you-know-where). The mark wasn't as crisp as yours, though. . Not ID-ed yet, as far as I know.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 4:45 pm

Ok , thanks Naomi , I'll just make up a name then Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 15th 2015, 4:48 pm

that works for other ebay sellers

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 4:52 pm

I think it's compulsory for some of them Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 15th 2015, 5:00 pm

As an American would say this thought has come "out of left field" but if it is a small P and J either side of an S it might be Peter Seabridge.

I don't know why I say that. He is British but has worked in Tokoname since 1994ish and only worked here briefly. I did have a piece of his from Tokoname in the past but don't have it now. It could be that which jogged my memory.

Last edited by studio-pots on February 15th 2015, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 5:08 pm

Thanks SP , I'll have a rummage and see what I can find on him .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 15th 2015, 5:16 pm

Now a second name has come to me - Philip Stanbridge. He was a potter somewhere around Greenwich back in the 1980s and then I think he moved away. I can't find anything about him on the internet except for references to him writing articles for Ceramic Review.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 15th 2015, 5:58 pm

I am now thinking that Philip Stanbridge is the more likely. I'll try and remember to ask Trevor when I see him a week on Friday, if we haven't come up with anything positive by then.

Trevor was my landlord and the person who founded the Harlequin Gallery and ran it from 1990 until 1998. He had an exhibition of several potters with Greenwich connections once, which included Philip Stanbridge.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 15th 2015, 6:17 pm

Ok cheers SP
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 1st 2015, 1:54 pm

I did ask Trevor about the jug on Friday and he knows that he has one similar and will check the mark. I think that Philip Stanbridge is very likely as Trevor did have an exhibition of several potters associated with Greenwich at the Harlequin Gallery before I took it over and Stanbridge was one of them, alongside Alan Wallwork.

Trevor would have not bought something from each potter in the show and so I think that it is very likely by him but not 100%..... yet.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum