James Campbell--Potter and Artist

4 posters

Go down

James Campbell--Potter and Artist Empty James Campbell--Potter and Artist

Post by yunomi December 6th 2014, 11:30 pm

James Campbell--Potter and Artist Dscf8141
James Campbell--Potter and Artist Dscf8142
James Campbell--Potter and Artist Dscf8140

A beautiful sculptural piece I found at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire some eight years ago. It measures 13" across and 10" high.

James Campbell was born in Cawdor in Scotland and was taught and influenced by another great British ceramics artist, Gordon Baldwin before going on to the Royal College of Art in London.

He was more inspired by Hans Coper than Bernard Leach and attended the college before Hans Coper had started teaching there
yunomi
yunomi

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

James Campbell--Potter and Artist Empty Re: James Campbell--Potter and Artist

Post by studio-pots December 7th 2014, 6:25 pm

I liked his early work like this but the painted dishes that he does these days look OK but seem rather pointless in comparison.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 19th 2017, 7:57 pm

James Campbell plate with bird and cross motif, signed JC and dated

James Campbell--Potter and Artist Jcampb10

James Campbell--Potter and Artist Jcampb11

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 19th 2019, 9:28 pm

Sadly passed away recently

https://www.twenty-twenty.co.uk/artists/campbell/

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 20th 2019, 9:09 am

In the special and magical places of my childhood in Wales and Scotland, I was always drawing. When I was very small, the images were of aeroplanes; it was 1944 and there was an aerodrome near our house.
The landscape began to appear when I was in my teens and away at school in unhappy exile from these sacred havens, which always offered a place to travel inner worlds of dream, joy and peace. The pain of separation and the longing to reconnect have been dominant forces in most of my subsequent work.
Over the years spent as potter, teacher and draughtsman, I came to love drawing, variously, as a tool for generating ideas about shape, for speculating about form and image, and as a language for putting down images of landscape observed, remembered, and imagined.
The pastels and watercolours have developed over time, from sketchbooks full of attempts to capture the poetry of these special places: they are meditations on landscape. Some are closer to the external facts, some closer to the inner world. The bird is a frequent presence; it often seems to be searching for something within the landscape, and it is probably me.
I’ve been making pots since about 1957; they were initially sculptural, slab built forms, but in 1983 the need to furnish myself with plates, bowls and jugs, along with a six week visit to Japan, prompted a renewed interest in the vessel, and since then most of my work has consisted of platters, dishes, jugs, jars and related shapes.
I try to make pots where form and image coexist as equal partners. They are in different languages, and to bring them together into balance is an endlessly fascinating puzzle.”
His own words from the twenty twenty gallery.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum