Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark

3 posters

Go down

Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  Empty Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark

Post by Guest August 31st 2014, 7:46 pm

I'm almost sure this is Sylvia Davey's mark (1975-1980), but put it here for a positive ID. Thanks.

url=https://servimg.com/view/18744657/294]Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  2014-114[/url]

Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  2014-115

Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  2014-116

Back to top Go down

Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  Empty Re: Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark

Post by studio-pots August 31st 2014, 10:09 pm

I have never heard of this potter or seen any of her work but from "the dreaded book" it does appear to be the mark.

However, it then goes on to describe her work as being "thrown and handbuilt domestic & decorative earthenware, sculptural pieces & garden sculptures".

Your pot is thrown and could be described as domestic ware but is stoneware and not earthenware. As it doesn't mention her ever using stoneware it makes it impossible to confirm that it is her work from the above information.

Maybe someone who has bought her work in the past will see this thread and be able to comment.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark  Empty Re: Sylvia Davey - Bridge of Dee Pottery, Castle Douglas - SD mark

Post by Guest August 31st 2014, 10:30 pm

Studio, I really appreciate your reply/help, I'm Embarrassed to say I still don't know the difference between stoneware and earthenware...even though a while ago, I googled the definition of both, I must be a muppet. Equally had never heard of her before I picked up this pot today.

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 1st 2014, 8:44 am

A quick guide: -

If you look at the unglazed part of your pot you will see particles in the clay - this is typical of stoneware.

Porcelain and earthenware are generally more uniform in texture.

Earthenware can be dark red (terracotta) or white/cream and it is unlikely that you will see a significant number of other particles in the clay. It is possible if the potter has added sand but don't worry about that too much.

Porcelain will again be white or off white but much harder to the touch than earthenware, especially if you rub your nail over an unglazed part.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 1st 2014, 11:50 am

Thanks Studio for explaining the difference to me : )

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 1st 2014, 12:44 pm

but you don't need to look for particles when it's stoneware as the weight is a dead giveaway

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 1st 2014, 5:16 pm

Cheers Dan, I will be able to describe my pots more accurately now rather than using generic 'pottery' : )

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 30th 2017, 2:51 pm

Seems that Sylvia joined her father John Davey at the pottery, and he did stoneware, so I see no reason why this isn't Sylvia Davey's mark.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum