What is this mystery pot?

2 posters

Go down

What is this mystery pot? Empty What is this mystery pot?

Post by Marcusborra August 7th 2014, 12:01 pm

Please accept my apologies for the number of photos but this is not a run of the mill item and is difficult to describe. It has a painted number on the base which suggests that it has come from a museum or private collection of ancient artifacts. It could be an oil lamp of some type possibly from the bronze age period in the area of Palestine. These are only my thoughts and I would appreciate suggestions from people with more knowledge than me.
Height: 11cm  
Width: 29cm ( to the end of the handles.

What is this mystery pot? Marks131What is this mystery pot? Marks132What is this mystery pot? Marks133What is this mystery pot? Marks134What is this mystery pot? Marks135What is this mystery pot? Marks137What is this mystery pot? Marks138What is this mystery pot? Marks139
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

What is this mystery pot? Empty Re: What is this mystery pot?

Post by NaomiM August 7th 2014, 6:03 pm

I think the number on the base is a museum accession number. It does look like an oil lamp, and it's made of low fired burnished clay. As for age, I'm not seeing the signs one would expect if it was very old. More likely it's a copy made for a Bronze Age re-enactment society. Your best bet us to take it to a museum and ask them.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum