Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks.

2 posters

Go down

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Empty Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks.

Post by mikelv85 February 13th 2014, 10:49 am

Imagine finding this at a Goodwill store! It was sitting on the counter next to the cash register. The clerk told me the lady that donated it said it was a gift from her father, who would have been very upset if he knew she had given it away,and that it was very expensive. This cupid won't be causing any mischief because unfortunately his bow is missing. It was only attached to his back with a tiny speck of metal. It probably fell over and that was that. No more bow which then disappeared. He stands 24" tall 9" across the arm span and it's solid metal that weighs an incredible 20 lbs.! It has a dark patina with some gold tones showing through. I do believe it's bronze though. It's not magnetic. I did the "Antiques Roadshow" scratch test with a penny and it does show through gold and not silver, so I'm fairly sure it's not spelter. There is no foundry mark anywhere and the bottom has no markings either. I figure it's probably just a decorative piece similar but not exactly like Moreau's original. but it's still beautiful. I found only one like it online but it was an old auction with no info other than it's size which matched this one. It was made somewhere by someone. Does anyone know ??. -Mike-

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Bronze10
Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Bronze11
Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Bronze12
Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Bronze13
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Empty Re: Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks.

Post by NaomiM February 13th 2014, 11:03 am

Lovely item.
There are some flat bits in the cupid's hair and the toes on one foot seem a bit unfinished . One would expect a top foundary to fix these bits by hand after the casting. Without a mark it's difficult to say because even if you do find another this could be a much later copy. Is there any white plaster in the underside of the base? If so that could indicate its made in China .

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Empty Re: Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks.

Post by mikelv85 February 13th 2014, 11:19 am

Hi Naomi,
          Yes I agree with you there are some inconsistencies in the finishing, The hair with the leaves and berries the wings all have nice fine detail while a few obvious things were ignored. The bottom is solid and flat not holllow with no plaster residue. Here's pics of the one I found in the online auction. No value and no info as it was years ago. He's an identical piece but a little more worse for wear, probably had been outside. Thanks for looking at this for me, -Mike-

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Cupid_10

Cupid or Eros Bronze 24" No artist or foundry marks. Cupid_11
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum