Victorian(?) Blown Glass Creamer & Sugar Bowl

Go down

Victorian(?) Blown Glass Creamer & Sugar Bowl

Post by Dannd on November 15th 2013, 6:58 pm

Hello!

Another interesting piece that I was hoping for some opinions on. I have never seen this type of "peach"-like glass before used in the form of a creamer & sugar bowl. When I first saw it I instantly thought it was Victorian looking in aesthetics and shape however I am having a difficult time dating it and figuring out its origin as I've never come across anything like this before. The pontil has been nicely smoothed down. Any thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dannd

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Victorian(?) Blown Glass Creamer & Sugar Bowl

Post by NaomiM on November 15th 2013, 7:02 pm

They are fun Happy 
I think the colour combination of red-orange is called amberina, so you might find them if you search under 'amberina glass'. They might be Carnival glass, late Victorian to 1920s, but are they showing the sort of wear expected of that date? If not then they could be modern Czech copies.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 17647
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd on November 15th 2013, 7:23 pm

Yes, that's definitely the type of glass! When I purchased them they were covered in a really thick layer of film, which initially made me think they had a satin finish but they were most likely in someones kitchen for a decade. There is very little wear to the base points, that along with the fact that the handles for the sugar bowl aren't lined up properly lead me to believe you're probably right with the modern Czech copies. However to counter this, the glass definitely has an antiqued texture that's 'stippled' (not as smooth as modern blown glass pieces I have) as well it has an old glass pane look (that wavy look you get when glass gets old). I will do some more research now that I know the type of glass. Thank you!
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd on November 15th 2013, 7:39 pm

I believe it may be Kanawha glass, I can find some pretty similar shaped and they did a lot of Amberina work. Its funny how one keyword opens up the solution! Thank you for your help as always Naomi.
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine on November 19th 2013, 3:42 pm

Wear is never a good age decider; merely a pointer. And something like this could never be carnival glass, which is pressed glass with an iridised finish
Christine

Female Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum