Peruvian Wood... Drumstick?

2 posters

Go down

Peruvian Wood... Drumstick? Empty Peruvian Wood... Drumstick?

Post by Dannd October 28th 2013, 5:30 pm

Whether it's porcelain or woodenware I always seem to find pieces that leave me grasping at straws! I received this from a woman who said it came from Peru with her mother but she knew nothing about it or its function I thought it was interesting so I took it. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out anything about it and all my guess' lead no where. My ideas go so far as to think its a drum stick or possibly some weaving tool. It has carved rings around it as well which I'm not sure if they are decorative or functional. Its not heavy/large enough to be a weapon. I was hoping someone could maybe throw a few more keywords out there for me or if they have by chance seen this type of piece before! Thank you!

Peruvian Wood... Drumstick? 28kleua
Peruvian Wood... Drumstick? 2ih1nxe
Dannd
Dannd

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Peruvian Wood... Drumstick? Empty Re: Peruvian Wood... Drumstick?

Post by NaomiM October 28th 2013, 5:38 pm

How long is it?
Looks as though it's been scorched in a fire, which is a native American indian technique for hardening wooden objects. The pattens round the head look similar to patterns in indian woven baskets. Possibly peruvian, but also possibly North American indian down to Mexico region.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd October 28th 2013, 6:14 pm

Its 12.25" L (31cm). Its definitely been scorched slightly. I almost want to think it has something to do with textile manufacturing due to the groove on the top ball as well as the carved loose wood rings. The end forms a closed hand with a small hole in it (for hanging up I assume?).
Dannd
Dannd

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum