Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

3 posters

Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by NaomiM October 13th 2013, 4:27 pm

Porcelain bowl with splashes of purple glaze on top and brown glaze on the underside.
Marked AW
Not Alan White's usual mark, but this bowl does have a very 'Dartington' look about it, so I wondered if he did some individual pieces?

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Dscn9129

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Dscn9128

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Dscn9126


Last edited by NaomiM on October 21st 2021, 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total

_________________
Carrot cake is just fake cake
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27451
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman October 13th 2013, 5:36 pm

yes Alan did make individual pieces but as you say it's not his usual mark


Last edited by dantheman on May 10th 2014, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by NaomiM October 13th 2013, 5:43 pm

The lady I bought it from had had it for quite a while. Did he make anything pre-Dartington?

_________________
Carrot cake is just fake cake
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27451
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman October 13th 2013, 5:47 pm

yes I believe he made pottery at home before working for Dartington (2001) and after being made redundant at Poole pottery

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by NaomiM August 26th 2016, 12:41 pm

Other ones with this mystery AW mark

dantheman wrote:

dantheman wrote:
DIANE wrote:
dantheman wrote:Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  100_0036

6.5 inch bowl,terrific glaze, simply signed AW ?

Any chance of a photo of the mark




Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  00213

sorry for the delay

dantheman wrote:Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  00312

here's a close up to show the stunning decoration,the potting is also superb

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Pp810

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Pp910
Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Pp1010

Here's another example of the mysterious but talented AW

_________________
Carrot cake is just fake cake
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27451
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman August 26th 2016, 1:22 pm

I love the glaze effects on these thinly potted pieces but we can rule out Alan White

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by NaomiM November 3rd 2016, 8:23 pm

TBH, these bowls do sell well. I suspect people think they are by Alan White.

_________________
Carrot cake is just fake cake
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27451
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman February 4th 2018, 2:18 pm

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  S-l16014


another bowl by the same mystery potter, same shape,different decoration

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by philpot February 4th 2018, 4:00 pm

They sell well.....
Is this because people are taking a punt on it be being Alan White?
They are genuinely very well made and attractive pieces?- which they are.
Someone knows something that we don't? Shrugs Laughter Laughter
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4938
Location : cambridge
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman February 4th 2018, 4:07 pm

both potting and glazing is top-notch so they possibly do

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman April 10th 2018, 10:38 pm

Alan White just told me he didn't make these AW pots

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by dantheman March 18th 2019, 4:46 pm

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  S-l16031

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  S-l16032

_________________
Making new friends as an adult is hard...because I don't want them.
dantheman
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15332
Location : Lincolnshire ( the veg patch of England)
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by NaomiM October 21st 2021, 12:41 am

I think it may be by Annette Welch

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Awmark10

_________________
Carrot cake is just fake cake
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27451
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?  Empty Re: Mystery AW mark - NOT Alan White - Annette Welch?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum