Unknown Markings - French Pottery Jug - Quimper

+2
beedragon
Flintztone
6 posters

Go down

Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper Empty Unknown Markings - French Pottery Jug - Quimper

Post by Flintztone October 3rd 2013, 1:07 am

Came across the lovely looking ewer jug, during a house clearance.  It's very detailed.   I am unable though to make out the indented markings.     Not certain if it is stoneware.  Your help is very much appreciated.

Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 112 Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 212  Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 311  Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 411  Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 511  Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper 611
Flintztone
Flintztone

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper Empty Re: Unknown Markings - French Pottery Jug - Quimper

Post by beedragon October 3rd 2013, 1:32 am

Label says "lead free" "oven and dishwasher safe" so probably not too old.
beedragon
beedragon

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Back to top Go down

Unknown Markings -  French Pottery Jug - Quimper Empty Re: Unknown Markings - French Pottery Jug - Quimper

Post by Flintztone October 3rd 2013, 1:57 am

Hello beedragon! Yes! I did read that somewhere during my search. From some information gathered, I think this jug/pitcher was made after 1968. I tried googling A Breton but not sure if this is the name of the maker. It's the indentation markings that I would really like to find out about.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 3rd 2013, 8:10 am

Quimper is a traditional pottery town situated in Brittany, N.W. France where the people are known as Bretons.

It is famous for its brightly painted earthenware and if you go there today it is full of shops selling pottery to the tourists. I imagine that A. Breton is just an anonymous mark using by one of the many small potteries there to suggest that it is individually made.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 3rd 2013, 11:06 am

This is tableware. The collectable Quimper is the painted folkware featuring figures in traditional dress and flowers.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone October 3rd 2013, 10:28 pm

Thanx all, for your detailed information. Any ideas on the indented markings though? I can just make out 'Rhodes' and what looks like the letters OR LO.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot October 4th 2013, 12:52 pm

its a bit strange as if the mark was just written on afterwards the other marks indicate a moulded piece
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone October 4th 2013, 11:21 pm

It certainly could be written at a later date. That, I suppose, we will never know. Rolling Eyes  A lovely quality pitcher though, that has this mat,textured finish. So if it's a moulded piece, it's likely to be mass produced?
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 5th 2013, 7:02 am

I find the value in these sorts of pots comes from every day use, they're far more pleasing  than their modern day descendants

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone October 10th 2013, 1:34 am

I totally agree with you, they certainly have more character. Most Excellent
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum