Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot - Branscombe Pottery?

+2
Potty
Eclectic-Dorset
6 posters

Go down

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Empty Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot - Branscombe Pottery?

Post by Eclectic-Dorset April 5th 2013, 3:38 pm

Split from the Eric Golding, Branscombe Pottery thread because there is still a question mark over the attribution. There is a different B mark used by Branscombe Pottery which P&L Wilson may have confused with this stamp.  - Admin

Anyone any thoughts please.

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  0d268410

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  2eb38110

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  528ff710
Eclectic-Dorset
Eclectic-Dorset

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Back to top Go down

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Empty Re: Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot - Branscombe Pottery?

Post by Potty April 5th 2013, 6:17 pm

Paul Barron?

SP may know his work to be able to confirm, but I don't, the quality is nice though. Most Excellent

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Empty Re: Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot - Branscombe Pottery?

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2013, 6:32 pm

Not come across the mark before, but a lovely piece. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 5th 2013, 10:17 pm

It does look a fine slipware charger but the picture of the mark is rather blurred. Is it just a B?

Paul Barron, who Potty suggested, did make a little slipware around 1948 to 1951 but this is much more recent than that. Paul Barron's seal was an impressed B but much smaller than the mark on your charger. He also died in 1983 and I think this piece dates from after that as well.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclectic-Dorset April 5th 2013, 10:30 pm

Studio agreed it does seem more modern , it is a B with a dot to the left which you can just make out in the pic.

Oh well in time i may find who potted it , thanks all for the sugestions and help .
I am still lucky enough to find potters of some of my pieces after having some of them more than 10/15 years some times a nice suprise .
Eclectic-Dorset
Eclectic-Dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 5th 2013, 11:36 pm

I was thinking it looked to modern for Paul Barron, I've no other suggestions though Big Laughter

It seems very well made, surprised nobody has recognised it yet.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclectic-Dorset April 6th 2013, 8:14 am

with a 2mb camera it is not cutting the mustard with close up pics , but this stamp is verry clear and bold what i would class as an old TV lozenge with a verry distinct large raised B and to the left of the B just over halfway down a raised dot , i feel the raised dot is the answer to this potter.
Eclectic-Dorset
Eclectic-Dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 6th 2013, 9:29 pm

The mark well be that of Blenheim Pots & Plauqes which Lucienne De Mauny used in the 80s at Blenheim farm wallingford.Work included Slip Trailing in earthenware.
The present pottery
http://www.luciennedemauny.co.uk/
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Empty Teapot with B and a spot - Eric Golding, Branscombe Pottery

Post by Falmouth February 7th 2016, 8:36 pm

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Bmark_14
Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Bmark_15

The photos are of a teapot I recently purchased. I've found a very similar teapot in an archive for sale on ebay which attributes the pot to Paul Barron.  I have also seen a picture online of a dish attributed to Paul Barron with an identical mark.  However, I don't believe this teapot is by Barron - can anyone please shed any light?
Falmouth
Falmouth

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 7th 2016, 8:39 pm

I saw it on ebay and thought it had a good chance of being by Paul Barron, was tempted to bid but the damage put me off.

SP will likely know for sure.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 7th 2016, 10:15 pm

I wouldn't think it was by Paul Barron, as I am not aware of him using a dot before the B of his mark. Besides that I can't think of any reason to add the dot after using a B only. Barron's B seal is also quite small when compared to your average seal and I think this looks average size.

Can't suggest who it might be.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 7th 2016, 10:52 pm

The dot might not be part of the mark. Just a bit of lumpy glaze.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2016, 7:29 am

NaomiM wrote:The dot might not be part of the mark. Just a bit of lumpy glaze.

I think that is unlikely and the overlapping of the vertical by the top and the bottom round parts of the B are not like Barron's mark.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Falmouth February 8th 2016, 1:21 pm

w w w.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/superb-paul-barron-studio-pottery-482583736

Thanks for your help so far. The URL above takes you to the ebay-archived dish also attributed to Paul Barron. As you'll see it has an identical mark to my teapot (with dot).

I can't seem to find any contact details for the Branscombe Pottery but their B looks subtely different (without a dot)?

Thanks again all.
Falmouth
Falmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2016, 1:51 pm

Unfortunately Worthpoint only copies eBay listings and uses them to advertise their own website. They don't make any checks on the attribution. Plus the URL doesn't work. Best to copy the photos to a Pinterest board and post that link

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Falmouth February 8th 2016, 3:34 pm

Sorry, I was on a work computer system which is quite restrictive. The URL doesn't work because I had to put spaces between the www as the forum won't allow me to post a link within the first week.

I agree that the worthpoint/eBay attribution is no guarantee, I just thought it was interesting that a totally different item with an identical mark had also been attributed to Barron?

I'll upload the photos properly when I get home tonight.
Falmouth
Falmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2016, 5:06 pm

Worthpoint had a slipware charger attributed to Paul Barron with the same dot beside the B. I've asked other collectors with Barron pots and they don't think it's his mark, and the dot seems to be an artifact on the stamp. I think Paul Wilson's Branscombe Pottery is more likely.

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Vase_b10

An example of Paul Barron's mark

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Paul_b10

Last edited by NaomiM on October 1st 2022, 1:11 pm; edited 4 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2016, 5:12 pm

Mark from the charger

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Slipwa10

Last edited by NaomiM on October 1st 2022, 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2016, 6:24 pm

NaomiM wrote:
studio-pots wrote:
NaomiM wrote:The dot might not be part of the mark. Just a bit of lumpy glaze.

I think that is unlikely and the overlapping of the vertical by the top and the bottom round parts of the B are not like Barron's mark.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree over the dot, SP. The shape and position don't look right for a dot.

Having looked again the "dot" isn't in a logical place so I'm going to agree to agree with you, Naomi.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Falmouth February 8th 2016, 8:42 pm

I can't find any contact details for the Branscombe Pottery so I've made some enquiries with a couple of galleries who stock their current work (which bears no resemblance to my teapot or the charger at the links above) - I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the help to date - I really like the teapot and, as it happens, the charger in the photos above - I hope I can get to the bottom of who made them!
Falmouth
Falmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Falmouth February 12th 2016, 8:49 pm

Just to close the loop - I got in touch with Paul Wilson who used to run Branscombe Pottery and he confirmed that the teapot is early Branscombe by Erik Golding.

Thanks for your help all.
Falmouth
Falmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2018, 1:05 am

Eclectic-Dorset wrote:with a 2mb camera it is not cutting the mustard with close up pics , but this stamp is verry clear and bold what i would class as an old TV lozenge with a verry distinct large raised B and to the left of the B just over halfway down a raised dot , i feel the raised dot is the answer to this potter.

Attributed to Branscombe Pottery by Paul and Linda Wilson who took over the pottery from Eric Golding, but Golding was stoneware so it may be missatributed.

I think this is the Branscombe mark Paul and Linda Wilson were thinking of, which doesn't have the dot.

Slipware and stoneware, B mark and dot  - Branscombe Pottery?  Vase_b10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum