Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?

+4
Potty
climberg64
NaomiM
studio-pots
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?

Post by NaomiM May 21st 2018, 2:17 am

Nice photo.
The only A amongst them is Pat Ashmore

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2018, 5:51 pm

I forgot that I had this. It is small, being 10.8 cm (4.25 inches) tall and I bought it at a Boot Fair on 28th April 1996 for 50p.

Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?  - Page 2 Lp_vas10

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?  - Page 2 Empty Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2018, 6:03 pm

At the time I thought it had a Japanese style and might have been an influence on some of Janet Leach's later work. I did wonder if it had been made by Atsuya Hamada, who was Shoji's third son. He had worked at the Leach Pottery in 1957-8 during the time that John Reeve was also there. Back in the 1990s I did show it to Bill Marshall but he didn't recognise the mark and so I kept it because I liked it and last night had another look at the base.

Mystery Leach Pottery with Japanese torii (gate) A mark, Atsuya Hamada?  - Page 2 Lp_vas11

So not further forward on who made it but certainly 20th century.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse May 22nd 2018, 4:52 am

I agree that it could b Atsuya Hamada. The mark looks a lot like a Japanese torii (gate). But how can we find out? I wonder who knows a lot about the Hamada Family and their works.
Jesse
Jesse

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 22nd 2018, 11:49 pm

There is little information around about Atsuya, as he died before the internet age, and most of his contemporaries at the Leach Pottery are now deceased too. Richard Batterham is still around but I have never got the impression that he has ever had much interest in other people's pots. However, if I go and see him, I will try and remember to take my little pot along with me just in case.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum