+4
skipposal
NaomiM
RVsaid
mandrake1000
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wise old bird - Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by NaomiM April 7th 2013, 8:17 pm

I would get it repaired. Even if another turns up it may be out of your price range.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wise old bird - Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 8:25 pm

NaomiM wrote:I would get it repaired. Even if another turns up it may be out of your price range.

Apparently repair is out of the question ... (see above) ... still if I can find a really good restorer I might well give it a go ... Happy

It could be out of my price range - but if you want something bad enough sometimes you will go that extra mile to get it ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Male Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 8:30 pm

It's not so much that it would be impossible to have done, just that it will never look right and cost a lot.

If I were you in the meantime, have a go at restoring it yourself, using something that can be removed, in case you ever want to have it done professionally.

Milliput, non permanent strong glue, white paint, varnish I guess would be what you need, ed seems good at DIY repairs, so I expect he'd know what you need better than me.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 8:42 pm

Potty wrote:It's not so much that it would be impossible to have done, just that it will never look right and cost a lot.

If I were you in the meantime, have a go at restoring it yourself, using something that can be removed, in case you ever want to have it done professionally.

Milliput, non permanent strong glue, white paint, varnish I guess would be what you need, ed seems good at DIY repairs, so I expect he'd know what you need better than me.

Problem is the breast bone ... that's shattered into lots of pieces - far too many to attempt glueing them all together ... I don't mind paying a hefty sum if they do the work to a high standard ... I have seen some pieces that have been shattered bought back to life and the result has been stunning ... mind you I would hate to think of the price of restoring someting to that condition ... Rolling Eyes
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 8:49 pm

The Milliput you would use to fill the missing gaps, then paint to match the colour and varnish to match the gloss glaze. I've never done this personally though, but I've seen what ed and others have done with it.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 7th 2013, 8:58 pm

Potty wrote:It's not so much that it would be impossible to have done, just that it will never look right and cost a lot.

you should never try to fix a broken pot if you intend to have it professionally restored,the restoration cost can be much higher after an amateur has had a go

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 9:02 pm

Quite true, but depends on how likely you are to want it done professionally in the future.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 9:10 pm

Potty wrote:Quite true, but depends on how likely you are to want it done professionally in the future.

I would like to have it done professionally so likelihood is reasonably high ... if it is worth saving that is ... has to be worth repairing but not at any price ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 9:24 pm

Best bet then would be to get some quotes. (give you an idea without costing anything)

But I still think replacing it may be quite possible (but could take a long time to find), as it's a moulded item, I would think they must have made more.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine - Page 2 Empty Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by NaomiM March 9th 2017, 12:25 pm

I've just come across another of these birds (owls). Attributed to Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour)  

Not much info on Dour. This is from a catalogue from a Belgian ceramics exhibition in South Africa, 1969-70.
"Marie Henriette Bataille and Marie Therese Bataille, with Claire Lambert, Monique Cornil, and Paul Timper. Founded 1951 by Roger Somville and Simone Tits."

http://pin.it/Y8nGfZs

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum