+4
skipposal
NaomiM
RVsaid
mandrake1000
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine Empty Wise old bird - Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by mandrake1000 November 25th 2012, 12:17 pm

Anybody any idea who may have produced this wonderful owl sculpture? I have had it many years now but I have no idea of it's origin.

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030013

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030014

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030015
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Male Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine Empty Re: Wise old bird - Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by RVsaid November 25th 2012, 12:51 pm

It might be Barbara Hayward but I could not find any images of her work to cross check the mark against
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1458
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine Empty Re: Wise old bird - Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine

Post by mandrake1000 November 25th 2012, 7:13 pm

RVsaid wrote:It might be Barbara Hayward but I could not find any images of her work to cross check the mark against

Thanks for your input. I would expect it to be initials HB rather than BH although you never know. It might well be a Dutch artist as, if I recall correctly, my father was presented with it when he lived here in Holland back in the 80's.
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 25th 2012, 8:45 pm

It might well be a Dutch artist as, if I recall correctly, my father was presented with it when he lived here in Holland

Do you mean presented by the potter? In which case it might be a one off. I've collected owls for a couple of years and never come across one like this in my internet searches.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 November 25th 2012, 9:08 pm

NaomiM wrote:
It might well be a Dutch artist as, if I recall correctly, my father was presented with it when he lived here in Holland

Do you mean presented by the potter? In which case it might be a one off. I've collected owls for a couple of years and never come across one like this in my internet searches.

It was presented by his students I believe when he left the University. I will check with my step-mum to make absolutely sure.
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 6:18 pm

I am absolutely gutted ... I was tidying up this afternoon and I managed to knock my owl off the bedside table ... needless to say it is smashed to smithereens ... one of my favourite pieces gone in one fell-swoop ... gutted - it's irreplaceable ... Sad Sad Sad
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 6:41 pm

What a shame (reminded me of Dave Lee Travis)
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 7th 2013, 6:44 pm

I'm sure Nige wouldn't have broken it had he saw-whet

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 6:46 pm

And I believe it may be by Hedwig Bollhagen - look for my recent thread under ID my pottery about a small mug with a duck on it - lots of fascinating info thanks to style invasion. Should be put into the German Pot thread if any mods are looking?
skipposal
skipposal

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 6:47 pm

skipposal wrote:What a shame (reminded me of Dave Lee Travis)

It does a bit yes ... !!

I wonder if it could be restored ... ? ... anybody know any really good restorers? ... the head is fine and the feet and tail too ... it's just the middle if the body that has been smashed ... might be do-able ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by skay April 7th 2013, 6:54 pm

skipposal wrote:And I believe it may be by Hedwig Bollhagen - look for my recent thread under ID my pottery about a small mug with a duck on it - lots of fascinating info thanks to style invasion. Should be put into the German Pot thread if any mods are looking?

If that's a positive ID it should be, yes. Is it?

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 6:55 pm

skipposal wrote:And I believe it may be by Hedwig Bollhagen - look for my recent thread under ID my pottery about a small mug with a duck on it - lots of fascinating info thanks to style invasion. Should be put into the German Pot thread if any mods are looking?

Wow - you may well be right there - thanks very much. I have had a look at the website and there is an email contact address on there so I will see if I can get in touch with them. You never know ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 7:02 pm

skay wrote: If that's a positive ID it should be, yes. Is it?

xx

My duck painted mug is definitely. Should go under title 'Hedwig Bollhagen (former East Germany)'
skipposal
skipposal

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 7:12 pm

I'll bump it so you can see it
skipposal
skipposal

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 7:12 pm

Here is the aforementioned damaged article ...

Head

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030116

Feet

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030117

Missing body parts

Wise old bird -  Marie Henriette Bataille (Dour) owl figurine P1030118

mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 7th 2013, 7:15 pm

could be a lot worse,I would guess it's restorable

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 7:15 pm

Brin McC wrote this in another thread about an Aller Vale piece sunnyices had a while back:
The restorer is Stuart...01277 216310 he was brilliant and cheap

He used to have an antiques shop in Brentwood...he restored a San Marino Vase..which had shattered down the side and "fleabites" on two Troikas and i cant see the joins

skipposal
skipposal

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 7:20 pm

skipposal wrote:Brin McC wrote this in another thread about an Aller Vale piece sunnyices had a while back:
The restorer is Stuart...01277 216310 he was brilliant and cheap

He used to have an antiques shop in Brentwood...he restored a San Marino Vase..which had shattered down the side and "fleabites" on two Troikas and i cant see the joins

Thx skip - I might well give him a bell during the week Happy

PS Can't see the join, eh? I wonder if he would give me a face-lift too!!!
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 7:25 pm

I can't believe this, but I'm going to have to agree with ed.

You could always mount it's head though on a plaque, it seems to be what some hunters do after a kill Big Laughter

In all seriousness though, I'm sure it could be "restored" but I expect it would cost a small fortune and never look quite right. Sad

As the owl itself is moulded, trying to find another (especially now you know the maker), may be the best option. Shrugs

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 7:38 pm

Potty wrote:I can't believe this, but I'm going to have to agree with ed.

You could always mount it's head though on a plaque, it seems to be what some hunters do after a kill Big Laughter

In all seriousness though, I'm sure it could be "restored" but I expect it would cost a small fortune and never look quite right. Sad

As the owl itself is moulded, trying to find another (especially now you know the maker), may be the best option. Shrugs

Unfortunately, you may well be right sigh ... I think it was an original so unlikely to be another one available ... and good old Hedwig has also shuffled off her mortal coil back in 2001 so chances of having another one made are zero ... things are looking extremely unrosy in the mandrake garden ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed April 7th 2013, 7:39 pm

Iv'e definitely seen them on ebay , so there is still hope .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 7:42 pm

big ed wrote:Iv'e definitely seen them on ebay , so there is still hope .

are you sure ... I thought this was a one-off? if not I will be on ebay everyday looking for one !!!

mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2013, 7:45 pm

If anyone sees one for sale let mandrake know Most Excellent

I'll pm you if I happen to see one.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 7th 2013, 7:47 pm

I think if the item has sentimental value then you should mend it actually - but then as an archaeologist all the pots I saw were broken and it never mattered Laughter even a fragment can tell a story
skipposal
skipposal

Back to top Go down

Post by mandrake1000 April 7th 2013, 7:55 pm

skipposal wrote:I think if the item has sentimental value then you should mend it actually - but then as an archaeologist all the pots I saw were broken and it never mattered Laughter even a fragment can tell a story

it certainly has a lot of sentimantal value ... of all the pots I have this was the number one I didn't want to break ...
mandrake1000
mandrake1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum