Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark

4 posters

Go down

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Empty Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark

Post by BrandX November 21st 2012, 11:29 pm

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Combo110

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Glaze10

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Stamp10

This is a nice little jug (size: H 4", base D 3") and whilst it is of a traditional design, the finish is rather finer than the some of the more rustic examples, with a thin wall, interesting throwing marks, and rather elgent joining of handle to body.

Despite all that effort the potters mark has been applied rather poorly (why do they do that!) and I have been unable to identify the potter/pottery. It looks to be an "S" with a small "p" crossing through the centre, but its by no means clear.

Any ideas?
BrandX
BrandX

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Empty Re: Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark

Post by RVsaid November 22nd 2012, 10:53 am

Is it SH? I have a Sylvia Hardaker piece but the mark is a lot cleaner and looks very different in style.
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark Empty Re: Little brown (and green and blue) jug, SP mark

Post by BrandX November 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm

I can see it could be an "SH" but, as you say, Sylvia Hardaker's mark is in a different style, and looking at photos of some of her pieces, its apparent that it is not one of hers.
BrandX
BrandX

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman November 22nd 2012, 1:52 pm

no I just checked her mark and tbh your pot looks far better than her work

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 22nd 2012, 5:39 pm

Looked like SB when I first saw the mark.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 22nd 2012, 6:10 pm

Just seen Phil Roger's mark on mayfieldpottery website, British Studio Pottery page and wondering if it's his?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandX November 22nd 2012, 7:00 pm

Thanks for the further leads. The Rogers stamp is very like it, and have checked further examples on the Ceramike site. However, whereas in his it is a definate "R", with this one the stem of what would be the "R" definately curves around like an "S" (if that makes any sense). It also does not really look like any of his pieces, so, unfortunately, like big ed, I don't think it is either of these.
BrandX
BrandX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum