dorsetlass
dantheman
skay
Celtic_Fan
Geoff F
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Empty Re: Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole

Post by Celtic_Fan March 18th 2015, 9:33 pm

OOh VERY NICE Beating Heart
Dan is absolutely right. There is no doubt at all about this being Bills work.

One of the nicest things I've seen in a long time.

I'm not surprised the owner doesn't want to sell it.
But if ever they do Innocent point them in my direction.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Male Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Empty Re: Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole

Post by Morganmike January 21st 2016, 10:06 pm

Just joined and so very pleased to get some info after 'years' of searching/wondering.......I bought a large bull ( about 14" length ) and a smaller lion, similar to the one that is shown a few posts back. I have always loved these and often wondered what happened to the artist but I'm still unsure who made them. Was it Bill Fisher or Eric L???
I bought them back in the mid to late 60's whilst on holidaying in Cornwall and diving in Lamorna Cove, staying at The Wink - or that's what I think I remember !!. I thought it greedy buying both although I also loved the unicorns as well. I now wish I had bought one.
I have just photographed them for uploading but I'm lost and do not seem to be able to get it onto the site. Happy to mail them to anyone who can !
Found the posts interesting but happy to hear who made them. Michael
PS still love the area but don't get down often enough although the sculptures are a constant reminder of great times, my youth and old friends .

Morganmike
Morganmike

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 23rd 2016, 10:56 am

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Photo_11

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 23rd 2016, 10:56 am

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Photo_12

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Morganmike February 3rd 2016, 6:01 pm

Lovely Lion but one is a Brilliant Bull! I could have only been 15 up to a maximum of 19 when I bought these in the mid/late sixties. This is part of the sixties I can remember.
I think I was a bit grown up back then as I did like collecting stuff. Somehow the picture of the unicorn on the site is not as I remember. I recall it looking like the items I posted - obviously a horse with a horn but in a similar pose to the lion and bull. I just could not afford three pieces but buying more than one is typical of me if I cannot decide which I like best ! I love both.
For info my family have done a couple of pottery courses with Douglas & Jenny - years ago......nice people and she is a great cook. Little oasis in Somerset .

I don't know if any of you can help but as a significant birthday is looming for my wife I was considering a wheel and kiln. Unsure if this is the place to ask but why not! Anyone got a good recommendation for what to buy ? Might also ask Ridge.
Nice site this with plenty of info. Michael
Morganmike
Morganmike

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan February 3rd 2016, 7:26 pm

Yeh, Don't know what I was thinking there Doh!
Great that you were collecting at that age (I was a little older when I started) I wish I had started younger when my local pottery was still in production - I used to look in the window and admire the work, but never bought any Frustrated
I don't recall seeing a 'full' bodied Unicorn (only the heads) but I wouldn't be surprised to hear Bill made some. He did do some lovely 'full' Horses - some very fancy.

I've got several of his pieces, but have still to get a large Lion (only got small ones).

Hopefully one of the Mods will move your request for Kiln info to a relevant section.
There are certainly people on here who could offer advise, but may not see it here.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 6:25 pm

Celtic_Fan wrote:I was talking about my terracotta pieces, but as Dan said they are posted.
Most aren't 'attributed' to me as the pic's have been plucked from the internet.
But they are still on here.

Oh, was it these?

dantheman wrote:these are the pieces that Brian mentioned

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Bill_f10

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Bill_f11

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Bill_f12

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 6:46 pm

I bought one of his sculptural pieces recently (damaged a fair bit but was fairly cheap and should be easy to restore to an acceptable standard).

Will get some pics up later, they wont be great pictures, as moving soon and the place is a mess!

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 6:51 pm

This is Herbert (he's so big I had to name him!), he's around 16 inches high and weighs a ton.

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 P1030410

worse damage on the other side, will post more pictures at a later date Happy

Only just unwrapped him and he is very very dusty! SHould look nice once restored and cleaned I think, though my wife disagrees... Embarrassed

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan February 4th 2016, 7:07 pm

He is FANTASTIC Beating Heart And clearly Bills Work (guess it's not marked).
I'd certainly have bought him! Mine also have some damage, so this seems almost to be expected.
The variety of Bills work is amazing. It seems the more you see, the more you realise how little you've seen.
I've seen a photo of a similar(ish) figure but not that close.

GREAT FIND!
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 7:18 pm

Cheers, yes it does look like a type of clay that would damage very very easily, to be honest I'm surprised it survived the kiln! Bill must have really known his clay and firing.

I don't think it's marked, but it's a bit hard to move to check due to the weight, but once I get around to cleaning him and taking some better pictures I'll try and remember to take a picture of the base too.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan February 4th 2016, 7:30 pm

Just be careful - don't want to damage him looking for what isn't there.
At 16" he's about the height of a Unicorn (mine weighs 5.5Kg), my Bull is just over 6Kg
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 7:37 pm

Celtic_Fan wrote:Just be careful - don't want to damage him looking for what isn't there.
At 16" he's about the height of a Unicorn (mine weighs 5.5Kg), my Bull is just over 6Kg

I'd have thought he was a bit heavier than that, but hard to know as it's quite an awkward thing to hold.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 8:45 pm

dantheman wrote:try the bathroom scales

Good plan, they are digital and pretty accurate!

Just over 6Kg it is.

"Feels" heavier, but guess that's due to the shape and how you have told hold it.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. February 4th 2016, 10:42 pm

I want to pick him up and feel the feathers => always a good sign
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 4th 2016, 10:44 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:I want to pick him up and feel the feathers => always a good sign

I need to thoroughly clean all the years of dust from each of the feathers soon.... Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Empty Bill Fisher sculpture

Post by Nutkin April 24th 2016, 12:17 pm

I was just googling Bill Fisher and came upon this forum. I have a spectacular sculpture by Bill Fisher of a head in terracotta. My mother has a dragon or lion sculpture, it looks a little like the Chinese dragons, it's also terracotta but painted black. My mother knew Bill and visited him a couple of times before he died, I think she has a letter from him as well. I never met him but I really admire his work.
Nutkin
Nutkin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. April 24th 2016, 1:04 pm

Welcome Nutkin. We would love to see some photos inc bases?

I hope they are nice and dusty?  Happy
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nutkin April 24th 2016, 10:02 pm

I'll take some today and see if I can upload them.  It does get dusty but over the years (and it's about 45 years old), we have drenched it under the hosepipe.  Don't know if I should be doing that but it seems ok.  The head has lots of holes and over the years some things have got trapped in it namely small gemstones.  It's been around the world twice and been placed in some very precarious positions, I don't know how it managed to stay in one piece.
Nutkin
Nutkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nutkin April 25th 2016, 7:39 am

Bill Fisher, formerly of Mousehole - Page 2 Terrac11
Nutkin
Nutkin

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 25th 2016, 12:39 pm

I can see that it would trap dust particles and things bigger but an impressive piece.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 25th 2016, 1:02 pm

Wow. Wonderful piece. I bet that keeps the burglars away :)

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. April 25th 2016, 4:07 pm

Has anyone seen anything like it? Does it represent anything? Green Man?

(I prefer old things with a little bit of dust)

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nutkin April 25th 2016, 10:47 pm

I forgot to mention it is 55cm in height. And I just realised you can see cobwebs down the bottom and Bill's signature.
Nutkin
Nutkin

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 28th 2016, 9:26 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:Has anyone seen anything like it? Does it represent anything? Green Man?  

(I prefer old things with a little bit of dust)

I haven't seen anything like it before, a very rare piece Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum