Abuja Nigeria

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Abuja Nigeria

Post by studio-pots on November 25th 2015, 4:44 pm

Not sure exactly when the mark changed but the earlier (1950s/early 1960s) Abuja pieces had the mark in Arabic script. Therefore a late 1960s date for your vase seems correct.

As for something similar on the internet being ID'd as being by Ladi Kwali but without her mark, my answer is that is what the owner would like it to be.

Ladi Kwali had been a village potter before going to work with Cardew at Abuja and she was skilled at decoration of a traditional nature e.g. stylised birds, reptiles and traditional patterns similar to those on native fabric.

On the other hand your vase has patterns that appear to be based on Cardew/OBrien patterns i.e. introduced from the UK and then not terribly well executed, so, if anything it points to the vase being made by anyone other than Ladi Kwali.

Sorry about that.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5272
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annette on November 25th 2015, 4:58 pm

Thanks both for your help. Much appreciated. Happy
Annette

Female Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.anseta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on March 22nd 2017, 9:22 pm

Nigerian jug. No stamp but handwritten and numbered (dated?) on the base. Classic Cardew shape but Michael OBrien has suggested "the clay doesn't look like Abuja or Maraba, but it does look just like the clay Stephen Mhya uses at Bwari, just outside Abuja". I'm sending him some photos for confirmation

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 15036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: