Bob Kinzie--Affilliated Craftsmen and beyond

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bob Kinzie--Affilliated Craftsmen and beyond

Post by Calusa on September 7th 2011, 11:24 pm

Let me say at the outset, Bob Kinzie is one of the most amazing throwers I have ever seen. At one point he could throw twenty 25 pound pots in 4 hours. This is a remarkable feat, and at that rate he could make huge lamp bases and pots faster than a commercial ceramic company could cast them.
In the early 1960's, he and two friends established a pottery manufacturing business called Affiliated Craftsmen, California. It was first located in Los Angeles, but shortly thereafter relocated to Costa Mesa, California. They produced primarily large textured lamp bases and garden pots. The trio decided to follow the Japanese Mengei tradition of "the unknown craftsman" and therefore did not mark or sign their names to the work (this later changed after Kinzie left the company in the early 70's--pieces were then sometimes marked with paper labels and a stamp mark).
During the Affiliated Craftsmen period in the 1960's Bob also produced large lamp bases for Raul Coronel's company Stoneware Designs, Inc.; some of these were apparently sold by Coronel to the Architectural Pottery Company which has caused some confusion among both collectors and dealers of Mid Century Modern pottery:
The Affiliated Craftsmen/Stoneware Designs output is often mistaken for or misrepresented as the work of another artist: David Cressey, best known for his work with Architectural Pottery Company, and later with Earthgender, a partnership with his friend Robert Maxwell.

The following photo shows Bob in his Aptos, California studio with an enormous textured bowl he had just thrown as a private demonstration for my wife and I. It took him less than 10 minutes to throw the piece and apply the texture using a bag of slip and two butane torches. Notice the bowl has no bottom--it will be sliced down the side, removed from the wheel and laid flat on a work table resulting in a long flat arc of textured clay which will be cut into sections and assembled into slab built items:
Calusa

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

More Kinzie

Post by Calusa on September 8th 2011, 12:26 am

The following photo is a huge Affiliated Craftsmen bowl by Kinzie which I got from a friend (the friend thought it was made by David Cressey); it is 18 inches across. The second photo is one of the large lamp bases produced by Bob for Raul Coronel's Stoneware Designs, Inc.

url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=133&u=15559699][/url]
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Kinzie now...

Post by Calusa on September 8th 2011, 12:47 am

Bob Kenzie and his wife are currently producing pottery and sculptures at their Aptos, California (near Santa Cruz) studio. My wife and I recently took a trip up there to meet and visit them. The Kinzies are wonderful people who graciously welcomed us into their home and studio where we were overwhelmed by all their beautiful work. We came away with four large pieces:

The first is a fabulous slab built textured vase (shown in "action).

The next photo shows two large hanging planters that now hang in our garden:

The next piece is my favorite, It is a sculptural "pond". It is 18 inches across and sits on 3 short legs. The center may be filled with pebbles or water with a flower floated (or not).

Calusa

Back to top Go down

I should have mentioned...

Post by Calusa on September 8th 2011, 12:54 am

I should have mentioned that the new designation for Bob and Sandy Kenzie is Kinzie Stoneware, You can see much more of their work or contact them at kinziestoneware.com. There is also a short video showing Bob throwing and texturing one of his large pieces, then slicing it off the wheel and removing the slab.
Calusa

Back to top Go down

A little more on Affiliated Craftsmen:

Post by Calusa on September 8th 2011, 1:07 am

Phil Barkdall was Bob's partner at Affiliated Craftsmen. After Bob left the company (around the early 70's), Phil started using paper labels with the AC logo on pieces (these were round with a picture of a stylized hand and the words Affiliated Craftsmen California around the perimeter). He also began using an impressed stamp; it was a circle with three smaller circles inside (one indented, two protruding). The following photos are of a pair of later stoneware lamps and the stamp on them:

Calusa

Back to top Go down

Open Studio in October

Post by Calusa on September 8th 2011, 4:02 pm

Just a note for anyone who might be in the area in early October:

Calusa

Back to top Go down

Affiliated Craftsmen lamp

Post by valiantvintage on September 10th 2011, 6:03 pm

Hi Calusa, This is my first post, so hopefully the picture shows?
I really enjoyed this post and have a lamp by AC, see picture, do you think Bod or Phil created this large lamp?[url=Photobucket]Photobucket[/url]
valiantvintage

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Bob Kinzie--Affilliated Craftsmen and beyond

Post by Calusa on September 10th 2011, 9:27 pm

Yes, absolutely! I think this lamp was made by Phil Barkdall. The shape (with several texture options) is shown in an old ACS catalog that Sandy Kinzie emailed to me; it is listed as "K Series". I will ask the Kinzies for permission to include the catalog pages in this post.
I believe I can see the stamp mark used by Barkdall next to the hole for the cord. I've also seen the glaze before on a pair of lamps on ebay that were attributed to David Cressey even though they were a classic Affiliated Craftsmen shape and had the same mark on them which was obviously not used by Cressey.
Great find valiantvintage! I think now that we are getting some information out on the web via this forum, Bob Kinzie and Affiliated Craftsmen Studio will be getting some long overdue recognition for their contributions to mid-century California studio pottery. Thanks for posting!
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Errata

Post by Calusa on September 10th 2011, 9:47 pm

I'm afraid I made a mistake earlier in this post (maybe more than one, but I will correct this one now); Kinzie's partner at ACS was Phil BARTOK, not Phil Barkdall as I erroneously reported.
Also, the business was "Affiliated Craftsmen Studios" (not just "Affiliated Craftsmen").
So much for relying on my aging memory rather than my notes. Sorry for any mix up. Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by valiantvintage on September 11th 2011, 1:52 am

Wow, thanks for all the info and fast! I have seen a few of these (stamp marked) lamps in my thrift journeys, but unfortunately, not knowingthe artist I past on all except this one because I like the (large) size of it. Thanks so much for confirming the potter...now to post some more studio pieces I have yet to identify.
1 down, 100 to go!!Photobucket" alt="" />
valiantvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa on September 11th 2011, 2:53 am

Nice grouping. I'd say start taking pics of the marked pieces and post them in the "ID my pottery section" (it's not all Brits here y'know--just mostly ).
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by valiantvintage on September 11th 2011, 4:23 am

Thanks again! I just added a few pieces to the "ID my pottery section", Take a look if you get a chance!
valiantvintage

Back to top Go down

Some images from the ACS Catalog (circa1960-'78)

Post by Calusa on September 11th 2011, 7:30 pm

The following images are from the ACS catalog; two pages of lamp styles and one pic of Bob throwing, in which you can see some of the other types of ware that was available.
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by R.Ferrao on September 15th 2011, 6:10 pm

All fabulous! Excellent
R.Ferrao

Female Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2011-05-25

http://ceramicamodernistaemportugal.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by crowdedmodhouse on October 4th 2011, 6:53 am

I have two of what I think are the N series, in beautiful condition...my house isn't of the scale to really fit them, though, since I have other lighting already...

and I just have to say: WOW about your pottery collection, valiantvintage -- I have some guesses on some of those pieces already, just from far away, but I'll go to the "ID" page to see what you've posted.
crowdedmodhouse

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Huge Kinzie pot

Post by Calusa on December 12th 2011, 4:53 pm

My friend Bruce sent me this photo of a huge Kinzie pot he turned up this past weekend. It is 17 inches tall. Note the glaze is identical to the lamp base I posted earlier. The form is similar to the piece Bob is throwing in the B/W photo from the Affiliated Craftsmen catalog (also shown above).

Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum