Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull)

+7
abstract*toad
PotteryLover123
big ed
studio-pots
lindylou08
dantheman
climberg64
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Empty Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull)

Post by climberg64 July 23rd 2011, 10:28 pm

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) P1000334
Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) P1000335

When I picked this up I thought it was Jill Dick but it's not quite the same. Gorgeous 8" vase.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Empty Re: Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull)

Post by dantheman July 24th 2011, 6:48 am

I haven't seen tenmoku glaze used like that before,is it unusual to paint designs on a pot with it?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Empty Re: Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull)

Post by climberg64 July 24th 2011, 6:46 pm

I think the design was painted on with iron which gives a rust colour either before or after a dip in the tenmoku. Usually the iron is used with an ash glaze as in the '(Badly stained) teapot' posted at the same time.

climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Empty Yet another unidentified JC - possibly Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford)

Post by lindylou08 April 24th 2014, 6:18 pm

Hi
I'm no birdwatcher but I come across so many of these LBJs ( little brown jobs), some of which I quite like.
This is one of those , the photo makes it appear darker than it is, it is fact brown rather than black. White slip decoration on both sides and an impressed monogram which appears to be JC.   15cm high

Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Dscn6210    Jack Crisp (not Joan Crawford/Faithfull) Dscn6211

Any ideas gratefully received . Thanks
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 April 24th 2014, 7:09 pm

I have one or maybe two with this mark but never been able to ID them. Would be very keen to know so I can tick them off my unknown list  Happy 
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 5:35 pm

Edited to say, it’s NOT JC for Joan Crawford.
She married in 1958 and changed her name to Joan Faithful so the JC mark is an early piece and can be dated pre 1958. She potted on Mull and Dalkeith

Last edited by NaomiM on July 25th 2023, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31479
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 June 11th 2014, 5:51 pm

Hmm. The two vases I have don't look old enough to be pre 58. Is there any more evidence?
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 5:54 pm

That's the mark in Yates-Owen. I assume that's where the info came from on the ebay listing -

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/175077504239022197/

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 5:55 pm

http://www.hmag.gla.ac.uk/john/pots/Joan.htm

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 June 11th 2014, 6:00 pm

Shame there doesn't seem to be a contact on the web page
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 6:14 pm

These pages are maintained by Dr. John Faithfull - Curator in Geology. They are not part of the official Web pages of the Hunterian Museum - any material here is entirely my own responsibility. Some of these pages may be of professional interest to geologists, mineral collectors or museum persons. Others may not be of interest to anybody. Some bits of these pages don't work at all yet - apologies for any disappointment this causes.

J.Faithfull@MUSEUM.GLA.AC.UK

Maybe he's her son? Seems a bit of a coincidence that there are pots on a geologist's page and they share a surname.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 11th 2014, 6:21 pm

It says in BSPM that Joan Crawford's mark is either painted or incised, which doesn't tie in and I agree with climberg64 that this pot doesn't look pre-1958. Also it doesn't look like Joan Crawford/Faithfull's work as found on the internet - all the early stuff seems to be earthenware.

Just because an Ebay seller, whose knowledge of studio pottery is unknown to us, says that the pot they are selling with this mark is by Joan Crawford is absolutely no proof at all.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 6:26 pm

Mark looks incised to me.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 June 11th 2014, 6:27 pm

NaomiM wrote:
These pages are maintained by Dr. John Faithfull - Curator in Geology. They are not part of the official Web pages of the Hunterian Museum - any material here is entirely my own responsibility. Some of these pages may be of professional interest to geologists, mineral collectors or museum persons. Others may not be of interest to anybody. Some bits of these pages don't work at all yet - apologies for any disappointment this causes.

Maybe he's her son? Seems a bit of a coincidence that there are pots on a geologist's page and they share a surname.

Anyone fancy asking him?
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 June 11th 2014, 6:36 pm

studio-pots wrote:It says in BSPM that Joan Crawford's mark is either painted or incised, which doesn't tie in and I agree with climberg64 that this pot doesn't look pre-1958. Also it doesn't look like Joan Crawford/Faithfull's work as found on the internet - all the early stuff seems to be earthenware.

Just because an Ebay seller, whose knowledge of studio pottery is unknown to us, says that the pot they are selling with this mark is by Joan Crawford is absolutely no proof at all.

After all someone is trying to pass the mark off as belonging to Shoji Hamada   Shrugs   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nb the mark on my LBJ looks impressed rather than incised
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 11th 2014, 6:39 pm

"pass the mark off" whatever do you mean?  Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 June 11th 2014, 6:55 pm

Innocent 
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 6:56 pm

climberg64 wrote:
NaomiM wrote:

Anyone fancy asking him?

Fine, I'll ask him. *wuss*  Laughter 

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 7:07 pm

NaomiM wrote:JC for Joan Crawford.
She married in 1958 and changed her name to Joan Faithful so the JC mark is an early piece and can be dated pre 1958. She potted on Mull and Dalkeith

oops, typo: Joan Faithfull

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 11th 2014, 7:26 pm

NaomiM wrote:Mark looks incised to me.

it's impressed .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2014, 7:35 pm

Well I've emailed him. Hopefully he'll have a mark for comparison.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 11th 2014, 8:39 pm

From what he has written on his site she does appear to be his mother - he talks about pots by his mother and father and there is one by Mr. Faithfull sr. on another page of the site.

However, he doesn't appear to have a great deal of information or knowledge of their work from what he has put on the site. We'll see.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 June 12th 2014, 7:52 am

NaomiM wrote:Well I've emailed him. Hopefully he'll have a mark for comparison.

Thanks Naomi  Happy 
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 3rd 2014, 12:15 pm

Joan Faithfull's son confirmed the mark is not his mother's.
Possibly by a Jack Crisp, Yorkshire, c.1980s

Last edited by NaomiM on July 25th 2023, 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 November 22nd 2015, 12:27 pm

Thanks Naomi. Googling him gets a handful of possibles. Any more definite evidence you have seen?
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum