Clear Chinese Garden Themed Vases ID: Verlys (America)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clear Chinese Garden Themed Vases ID: Verlys (America)

Post by snowychik on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:38 am

If anyone has any ideas where these vases came from, or who made them, I would be grateful. They were inherited. I have attached images of the vases and the etched signature. It is faint and looks something like V??lys.

-S

snowychik

Number of posts: 1
Registration date: 2011-07-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Clear Chinese Garden Themed Vases ID: Verlys (America)

Post by Nic on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:00 am

Verlys of America (not to be confused with Verlys, a French glassworks), and this is the 'Mandarin' vase.

It's a complicated history. Verlys (the French one), started in 1931 as a subsidiary of Societe Anonyme Holophane Les Andelys... and in 1935 Verlys of America was founded in Ohio as a subsidiary of the Holophane Lighting Company. Verlys of America used to buy its moulds in from its French counterpart, and they produced much the same wares.

They're distinguished by the signatures - all French-produced models have the signature in the mould, and mention 'France': 'A Verlys France'... 'Verlys France'... or 'Verlys Made in France'.

American production, sometimes engraved, sometimes in the mould, are always only marked 'Verlys'.

If you come across an unsigned example of this vase, it's probably by Fenton, who bought the mould and reproduced the design in the 1960s/70s.

I'm not sure exactly when the design hails from, but Verlys of America stopped production in 1951.

Fine Decorative Arts Comprising 1880-Present

Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts: 3300
Registration date: 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum