tenpot
dantheman
Calusa
28 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Re: Raul Coronel

Post by rhamil9697 February 16th 2011, 7:00 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. My camera just stopped working yesterday, but I will post a pic asap. The piece is signed "raul 63" and the ceramic portion only measures 23" wide by 40" tall. There are three birds and the tree is in the pot as I've seen a few other pieces. There is no silkscreening, and, interestingly, the thin wood frame is wrapped in the same material as the backing material, but as a separate piece. Will post a pic once i borrow a camera or get mine fixed.
rhamil9697
rhamil9697

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by rhamil9697 February 16th 2011, 7:11 pm

ok, the one i have is similar to this one at link below:

Raul Coronel, Four Nesting Birds, circa 1965, 28 x 21.75 in., LA Modern (sold for $1,100 in 2007)

http://www.midcenturia.com/2010/11/raul-coronel-master-mid-century_16.html

i just noticed that this link may be prohibited by the site. not sure if it meets the criteria to be allowed, so, if not, i apologize and figure it will be removed! oops.

Last edited by rhamil9697 on February 16th 2011, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : noticed posting rules)
rhamil9697
rhamil9697

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa February 16th 2011, 11:07 pm

Hi rhamil (and thanks skay for the nice remark and the happy face kiss). Funny, Kevin from mid-centuria lifted his info on Raul directly from my entry at Askart.com. Not to be selfish though, my intent is to get the information out there and let the world know about Raul and what a force he has been in mid century design. He has been sadly overlooked in the history books, primarily, I think because he was never became a pottery teacher (you know what they say: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach"). I am attaching a copy of a page from Raul's catalog from the 1960's and as you can see, your piece is indeed there (with an original price of $185). It appears to be one of the more elaborate designs that were produced. BTW, I recently saw "The Flute Player" on ebay, and even though the backing fabric was trashed, the seller was asking $2400 (didn't sell though--some people just don't have a clue). Cheers and Good luck with the restoration.
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Sdi-7_10
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa February 16th 2011, 11:37 pm

Oh, and just one more comment; I was looking through a book about Marguerite Wildenhain today (for those of you who may not know, a very well known German woman with a Bauhaus background who relocated to Northern California and established an art center known as Pond Farm from the 1950's-80's, where many leading US potters (including Raul) trained--she also knew Leach and Hamada and was known to have publicly taken issue with Leach's comment that US potters did not possess a "cultural taproot" of ceramic tradition). Anyway, I digress, and what I started to say is that in this book is picture of a tile made by Wildenhain that has a motif of birds roosting in a tree. As Raul's pieces were fresh in mind, I realized that Wildenhain's tile may have been the original inspiration for several of his designs using this motif.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Another large raul pot

Post by Calusa March 3rd 2011, 5:34 pm

Here is another large lamp base from Raul's studio (#LB 103 in his catalog). It is 19 inches tall and 13 inches wide. I bought this from a seller on ebay. It appeared unmarked, but a closer examination revealed that it is signed very faintly "coronel '68". Raul re-signed it for me last year. This form was regularly produced for the studio by one of Raul's co-workers, Bob Kinzie. Kinzie established "Affiliated Craftsmen, California" in the 1960's and produced this form through the late 1970's. This form has often been incorrectly attributed to David Cressey. Cressey was a friend and contemporary of Coronel's and both men produced designs for "Architectural Pottery Company" which was a major force in American modernist ceramic design from the 1950's through the 1980's. Many of AP's designs, including Raul's classic "Perforated Lantern" are currently being reproduced by "Vessel, Inc.". A few years ago, Raul was presented a design award by the "Museum of California Design" (MOCAD) for the perforated lantern.
Bob Kinzie exhibited in the Syracuse Nationals in 1960. He and his wife Sandy are currently producing ceramic art in Aptos, California; their website is kinziestoneware.com. Some interesting stuff there. Kinzie is a remarkable potter

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_l10
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by ericpalmsprings May 28th 2011, 6:58 pm

I just happened upon this forum today as I was doing some research on Mr. Coronel. My now deceased parents were collectors of his work and I've now inherited their pieces and have restored one large mural that my parents called "The Village". I am attaching a picture and would love to know any history of it if Mr. Coronel remembers it. It measures 52" X 26". I believe the item was purchased at his studio in 1971 or 72. And if memory serves me, it was purchased in pieces and my father mounted and framed it. I have since restored it as the original canvas backing had deteriorated. Here is a picture of it:

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Corone13

I also have this fantastic pierced vase that was made into a lamp:

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Corone12

Thank you in advance for any information you might have on these pieces.

Cheers, Eric
ericpalmsprings
ericpalmsprings

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa June 3rd 2011, 5:42 pm

Hi Eric, Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been quite busy and haven't checked the forum recently. You have a couple of fantastic pieces! Thanks for sharing them to this post. I will email Raul and ask him to look at the pieces and see if he has any comments. I can tell you a little about them; the wall piece is shown in his catalog from the 1960's. It is listed as "Single or Double Jeweled Village", "available in warm or cool colors with glass". The available sizes listed were 36 x 36" ($260), and 36 x 61" ($410). So it appears you have an unlisted size (perhaps a custom order?). The lamp is a wonderful example of his design work involving incising and carving. You might notice there is a similarly decorated cylinder in the second photo I posted (on page 1). I will get back to this when I have heard back from Raul.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by ericpalmsprings June 3rd 2011, 10:10 pm

Hi Calusa--thank you so much for the information! That's interesting that the piece village piece seems to be a different size than the catalog listings.

Last week I was very lucky to score a charger plate that you had mentioned he had done in his Venice studio--here's a picture of it. It was done by him in 1978--it's 18 1/2" wide here's a picture of it:

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Corone14

Thank you again for taking the time to to reply and please thank Raul in advance as well. I am so anxious to see the Pomona exhibit this fall. Cheers, Eric
ericpalmsprings
ericpalmsprings

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa June 3rd 2011, 11:48 pm

Glad to be of help. That's a great plate you picked up. It was actually done while he was still on Melrose Ave. in Hollywood before he reorganized and moved to the Venice studio. I spoke to him today, he was having some trouble logging onto the forum so he hasn't had a chance to see the pics you posted. He told me that the "village" piece was likely one of a kind which accounts for the odd size. He says the lamp is likely one of about 2 or 3 that were made. He did not make many of those because he says they were quite fragile because of the piercing. I am also looking forward to the Pomona show; there will be a concurrent show at the Museum of Arts & Crafts on Wilshire that will feature the huge yellow covered pot pictured in this post (he calls it "The Banana")
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty More Acquisitions

Post by Calusa June 4th 2011, 12:31 am

Here are a couple of recent scores; the first is a female bust that is a portrait of Raul's late wife (a sentimental favorite of his). An incredible find at a local estate sale last month. It has only a partial paper label so it went unrecognized, but I was familiar with it from seeing it in his photo archives. Interesting thing about this is it is made from wheel thrown pieces with the features pushed out from the inside and refined on the outer surface. the hair is another wheel thrown pot, altered and placed upside down on the head (pretty amazing accomplishment!).
The second piece is a tall cylinder vase that has been flattened into an oval shape (made in 1964). I got this from the same dealer that I bought the round brown pot from. I traded 2 pieces by Doyle Lane for it.
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_b11Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_610
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty addendum to previous post

Post by Calusa June 4th 2011, 12:46 am

Here is a photo of Raul's showroom in the 1960's; in the lower left corner you can see the bust of his wife on a shelf next to the very same floor lamp I posted pictures of earlier in this section.
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_s14
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Also...

Post by Calusa June 4th 2011, 12:49 am

I just noticed there is also an example of the "Jeweled Village" (double), similar to the one posted by ericpalmsprings on the facing wall.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty And another...

Post by Calusa June 4th 2011, 1:13 am

This is one of the most spectacular of Raul's pots I have ever seen (which I am now the proud owner of Raul Coronel - Page 2 847164 ). It is Enormous! 14 1/2" high and 19" handle to handle. I bought it off ebay today--it was listed by the same local estate sale company I bought the female bust from, so I was able to drive over and pick it up (avoiding the $71 shipping fee). It is a later piece made in 1986. This is one of Raul's original photos of it.
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_c11
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by R.Ferrao June 6th 2011, 2:33 pm

Hi Calusa, thanks for all the information and nice pictures. After reading all your posts about Raul Coronel, I also was watching this piece on eBay, I'm glad you won it, congratulations!! Clap
R.Ferrao
R.Ferrao

Female Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2011-05-25

http://ceramicamodernistaemportugal.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Thanks

Post by Calusa June 8th 2011, 6:27 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Ferrao; I'm very pleased to have won that auction. Normally, you have to put a stick of dynamite in my pocket to blow that much money out of my wallet, but it was actually well worth the cost for such a great piece. I'm also very pleased at the response this post has received. People from all over the world have referred to it for information. Raul is quite happy that previously unknown material regarding his work and career is now available and getting some degree of the recognition it deserves.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Call for Works in Southern California

Post by Calusa June 8th 2011, 7:08 pm

Due in part to the response to this post, as well as the concurrent Getty Foundation funded PST (Pacific Standard Time) exhibitions at several California Museums and educational institutions taking place later this year through 2012, I have been discussing with several people the possibility of mounting a solo retrospective exhibit of Raul's work in 2012. The show would feature ceramic works, paintings by Raul, and textiles if any can be located. Although at this point several venues are being considered, I have decided at this time to put the word out to collectors and dealers in the Southern California area to solicit pieces of work by Raul that they might own and be willing to make available for loan to such an exhibit. The items need not (but may) be offered for sale. Our hope is to generate a catalog to accompany the show. The benefits of loaning items would be increased status of the works and the collectors which would likely elevate the value of the pieces, as well as the civic pride involved in making the work available to the viewing public. Please feel free to contact me through this forum by Personal Message (PM), for my direct contact information.
I would like to thank Forum Member ericpalmsprings for generously offering to loan several pieces from his collection as well as those owned by members of his family.

Additionally, I would like to thank all those who have commented and/or contributed photos to this post; and encourage others to do the same.
Clap
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty One of a kind wall piece

Post by Calusa June 8th 2011, 11:24 pm

Here is a photo of one of Raul's wall pieces. It belongs to a friend of mine. It is a tongue in cheek take on Adam & Eve. The dealer who had it thought perhaps the wry looking "Adam" was based on Raul's face--I can kinda see the resemblance. Interesting about this item is it was not featured in his catalog and was made as a one-of-a-kind piece. He remembers making it and selling it to a woman from Colorado--he described her as having "very large breasts" (which probably accounts for his being able to remember her all this time later). He was curious about how the piece made it's way from Colorado to San Diego, California, which is where it was when I acquired it for my friend Tim. Curiously he signed it "coronel" rather than "raul". (The curved edges are lens distortion from the camera).
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_a10
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Some Background

Post by Calusa June 9th 2011, 12:04 am

So it has occurred to me that I have included very little in the way of background history to this post, so here are some highlights: Raul Angulo Coronel was born in February 1926 in Mexicali, Mexico. He immigrated to the US when he was 14 and became a naturalized US Citizen when he joined the US Marine Corps in 1944 and served during WWII. At the end of the war he was sent to Japan where he witnessed first hand the horrific aftermath of the US atomic bomb attack. After the war he attended the University of California at Berkely, then he did research in art at the University of Hawaii (and for a while became a bartender at the original Trader Vic's). He met and married his wife, Leanore in Hawaii, then returned to California where he attended the College of Arts & Crafts in Oakland, then Los Angeles State College (where he studied under Bernard Kester, and achieved a B.A. in Art). in 1956-57 he attended the University of Southern California and did graduate studies with F. Carlton Ball and Susan Peterson.
In 1958 he established Stoneware Designs, Inc. in Los Angeles which was in business until 1969. In the 1970's he was a freelance designer and worked with several major ceramic production companies. In 1980, he reorganized the company as Raul Coronel, Inc. in Venice California. The latest date I have seen on a piece from the latter operation is 1986. After that, he essentially retired from ceramic production (Though one of the partners, Brent Bennett, continues to produce some of Raul's designs through his own company BJB Architectural Stoneware). At this point I will not go into the many awards, exhibitions, major commissions and collections that have included Raul's work.
So, there you have it; a brief synopsis of the career of Raul Coronel, who IMHO is one of the greatest American Modernist Ceramic Masters.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Newly purchased Raul Coronel. Is it a catalog item or a special order?

Post by suvonoge June 16th 2011, 1:01 am

I was extremely lucky to happen upon this piece at a yard sale. What was appalling was that the woman was somewhat aware of its history and yet she had it marked for a paltry sum. Her story was that her mother had it made by special order in the late seventies. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum recognizes the design and could tell me whether her information is accurate or if it is a standard design from a catalog. It bears the signature 'raul' and is dated '77 so at least that much of her information is true. Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm just dying to know.

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Dsc00212

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Dsc00211

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Dsc00213

suvonoge
suvonoge

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Excellent example...

Post by Calusa June 16th 2011, 7:01 am

Very nice pot suvonoge, excellent form and design; and what can I say; appalling to some is great fortune to others. Some people are just not aware of the genre or the intrinsic value of certain items to those who appreciate them. And really, outside this forum, information on Raul is not readily available so it is not surprising the woman you got this from was not fully aware of its importance.
I can tell you this piece is definitely not represented in the catalog, so it seems clear this is a one-off studio piece. Congratulations on your score Most Excellent . I will ask Raul to check it out and see if he recalls any specifics. I'm sure he will be interested to know it turned up in Florida (via California (???)). Thanks for posting the pics!
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by suvonoge July 11th 2011, 3:57 pm

I didn't know that Coronel's work was somewhat obscure. I had a ceramics teacher in my arts magnet program in high school who shared an admiration for him with his students and I guess I just assumed it was a well known name.
suvonoge
suvonoge

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa July 12th 2011, 2:18 am

It's not that Coronel's work is obscure per se, as virtually all dealers of modernism and the modernist auction houses are well aware of him as are collectors of the genre. The issue is primarily that until recently there has been very little information available about him; that coupled with the fact that he stopped producing ceramics and virtually dropped out of sight in 1987 and then moved to Mexico for several years resulted in the apparent vanishing of an artist who had been a driving force in the Southern California design community. When he returned to California from Mexico no one knew where he was or if he was still alive. I became aware of his whereabouts through a bit of sheer luck a few years ago, and as we became better acquainted, I was amazed by the scope of his career and the stories he told of some of the great potters of the period as well as the extensive photo archives he had kept. I felt it was imperative to get this information out in the world and to that end I began this post last year (both he and I are very grateful to the 20th Century Forum for this opportunity). The material shared here has become a wide ranging resource with some of the information being used on other websites that promote the mid-twentieth century Modernist aesthetic. As mentioned, his work will now be featured in at least two important exhibitions this year, so I am confident that the next few years will see a dissipation of that perceived "obscurity", and I have a feeling we will see a lot more of his work surfacing.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty My first Coronel pot

Post by Calusa August 10th 2011, 8:22 pm

Here's an odd coincidence; the picture below is of the very first pot I found made by Raul Coronel. I found it in a second hand store about 5 years ago. It is signed "raul '81". At the time I had no idea who "raul" was. About a year later, I sold it to a pottery dealer for a tidy profit. He later told me he had sold it to someone else. A few days ago a friend sent me this picture--the pot has turned up in the inventory of yet another local dealer. Small world in the pottery biz.
Raul Coronel - Page 2 Raul_110
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 2 Empty Several Coronel pieces I acquired in 1967-1968 and thereafter

Post by Reed September 3rd 2011, 10:23 pm

I was very fortunate to acquire three beautiful Raul Coronel pieces in 1967 or 1968 when I was 17. I thought that by posting these photos Mr. Coronel might enjoy being reminded of his work on these great artistic creations and that others who love and appreciate his work might also enjoy seeing these. The first is a wonderful vase (11.5 " by 4.5") with a "yin/yang" kind of reverse art with a dark and a light side and which is quite intricate in its architectural design. It is signed "Raul" 67. These three photos are taken from three different angles since the piece clearly has intentionally different and "opposite"sides. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109637295/http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109628081/http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110186990/

The second is a wonderful gray and white vase (13" by 6") which I call "The Nun" and which is signed Raul 67. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110304250/in/photostream

The third is an orange sunburst ashtray signed "coronel". http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109771291/in/photostream

I have an additional two piece ashtray and cigarette holder set acquired recently at an estate sale. These pieces are also signed "coronel".http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110332114/in/photostream

I have one additional piece which is unsigned vase (14" by 5")and which I believe is a Coronel piece but, because it is unsigned, I am not certain. If anyone has any information on this last piece or regarding any of the other pieces depicted, I would be grateful to receive such information. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110373538/in/photostream
If anyone can explain to me how I can get the photos to be shown within the message rather than requiring the reader to go to the flickr site, please advise. Thank you
Reed
Reed

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 3rd 2011, 11:31 pm

It appears that my links are a little screwy. The first three combined into one link which directs you to my flickr account. If you click on the first link you will get to the flickr account. If you click on any photo you will see all of the Coronel photos which I uploaded to flickr.
Reed
Reed

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum