Ruskin Pottery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ruskin Pottery

Post by big ed on July 14th 2009, 8:34 am

Link history of ruskin pottery
http://www.laws.sandwell.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/leisure-and-culture/museums-and-galleries/collections-online/ruskin-pottery/history-of-ruskin-pottery/

Vase 8" dated 1912

Last edited by skay on July 14th 2009, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

big ed
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts: 12835
Registration date: 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Ruskin Pottery

Post by big ed on July 14th 2009, 8:37 am

big ed
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts: 12835
Registration date: 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Ruskin Bowl - Blue/Brown Glaze

Post by yunomi on December 8th 2014, 12:56 pm

94442/46][/url]

This is a small simple Ruskin Bowl but rates as one of my favourite pieces.

6" Diameter with a soft lustre of Blues, Browns and Pinks.

yunomi

Number of posts: 43
Registration date: 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Ruskin Pottery

Post by silverbug on February 25th 2015, 7:20 pm

Here's my tiny collection of Ruskin items; the first 2 vases were purchased for the grand sum of £1.50 each back in 2001 from a charity shop.
I'd never heard of Ruskin at the time of purchase but took an instant like to the pair with their lustrous glaze and thought them well worth the £3 and decided to risk it.....they were slightly splattered with white emulsion so thought they had some age!
The wonder of the internet educated me to the story of this interesting Pottery and I began to look for more.....

Ever since that date I have been looking out for more such bargains but thought it would never happen again....any lustre piece gets a second glance from me but it never turned out to be Ruskin......
Until 3 months ago that is when I found this vase forlorn on a local charity shop shelf Happy , it has a hairline crack alas but it's really tiny (almost invisible), it cost 50p so I cannot complain.

silverbug

Number of posts: 7
Registration date: 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on February 25th 2015, 9:00 pm

The lustre wares are the least popular with collectors but at those prices they were still exceptional bargains.

It goes to show that some of the collectable art pottery factories are not recognised by the general public (& charity shop staff) in the same way as some less important factories are.

studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts: 3967
Registration date: 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 25th 2015, 10:09 pm

...they were slightly splattered with white emulsion so thought they had some age!

I look for white emulsion on pots too  Excellent

Last edited by NaomiM on February 25th 2015, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

NaomiM

Female Number of posts: 10395
Registration date: 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on February 25th 2015, 10:19 pm

There was a large amount of Ruskin at The Nick Rocke single owner coleection of British Art and Studio Pottery at Wooley and Wallis auctioneers in Salisbury today. The link is to prices made,and they were hefty! http://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/departments/20th-century-design/da250215.aspx?page=4

philpot

Number of posts: 640
Registration date: 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silverbug on February 26th 2015, 7:42 am

studio-pots wrote:The lustre wares are the least popular with collectors but at those prices they were still exceptional bargains.

It goes to show that some of the collectable art pottery factories are not recognised by the general public (& charity shop staff) in the same way as some less important factories are.

Yes, they were dead cheap  Happy .
Must admit that with the 50p vase I did initially question its authenticity as the impressed mark looks nothing like anything I had seen on Ruskin before but the great age of the hairline (it looked old due to ingrained  dirt) made me come around to the  conclusion  that it wasn't a modern repro....have the Chinese started faking Ruskin yet? Laughter

NaomiM wrote:
...they were slightly splattered with white emulsion so thought they had some age!

I look for white emulsion on pots too  Excellent

I still do this, although looking back the age of the
Ruskin pieces was clear to see (1923)...!
To think I thought they could be a shape number.... Laughter

The prices achieved for that auction were indeed strong....

I love my lustre pieces tbh.....but if only I could find a piece of high-fired ware.....

silverbug

Number of posts: 7
Registration date: 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum