Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03)

5 posters

Go down

Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03) Empty Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03)

Post by Pip March 31st 2009, 2:25 pm

Just wanted to comment on the fella on the Antiques Roadshow last Sunday who brought in several lovely pieces of Holmegaard 'Carnaby' range which he said he'd bought for one or two pounds each and a fabulous Mdina Crizzle Stone which he said a friend had bought at a carboot sale and then given him. Andy McConnell did the appraisal.

Does anyone find it hard to believe this man's story? I do. You very rarely find HG Carnaby going for a few quid anywhere these days (and I'm always looking) and then to be GIVEN a rare and extremely valuable piece of Michael Harris glass which was found at a carboot? This fella seemed completely unaware of anything that he had - he thought that the uneven rim on the crizzle stone was damage. Something's not quite right - I'm sceptical about his story personally - people do get lucky of course but he seems incredibly fortunate to just land loads of valuable glass in that way.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03) Empty Re: Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03)

Post by Pip March 31st 2009, 2:34 pm

Another thing, perhaps I'm a bit too cynical but often when someone says 'my aunt/grandma/mother was in service at a big house and was *given* said object as a gift, I wonder if it was nicked! I'm sure many things were given as gifts to staff but ....

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03) Empty Re: Glass on Antiques Roadshow (Sun 29/03)

Post by dantheman March 31st 2009, 3:07 pm

we do get a lot of scandi glass at boots in this area,the Mdina was a great find but my brother in law collects it and often bags a bargain in the Midlands/East Anglia

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip March 31st 2009, 4:15 pm

We get lots of both types at boots here too Dan but to have found so many pieces of Carnaby at different boot sales for only one or two pounds each seems very fortunate indeed and for someone else he knows to find THE most collectable type of Mdina at a bootfair and give it to him just stretches my imagination too far.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic March 31st 2009, 7:18 pm

I did get an email from someone just a couple of months ago who had acquired a handful of the largest (20") and most desirable-coloured cased Gulvvaser at a bootsale for just £5 each, so I suppose anything is possible.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 31st 2009, 8:47 pm

never underestimate the ignorance of the general public

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Pothead April 21st 2009, 12:12 pm

The best pieces I have had from a carboot are a white cased Gulvvase and three pieces of Whitefriars sky blue - one with the original paper labels on.
Though I really don't understand the fuss about sky blue.
Pothead
Pothead

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip April 21st 2009, 1:21 pm

'The fuss' about sky blue is because it was only produced for one year in 1980 - the last year of production before the company closed. So therefore there are far far fewer WF items in that colour.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic April 21st 2009, 1:27 pm

Yes, but it fetches some obscene prices right now. It's a pretty colour, but nothing really amazing.

But then perhaps I'm bitter because I undersold a piece of it last year due to not checking out the crazy prices the stuff was fetching on eBay. I'd marked it up at a little more than the slightly more common Gold FLC.

Decidedly Browned Of
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Pothead April 21st 2009, 11:05 pm

I know it was made on a short production run but it still is a wishey washey colour.
Give me indigo anytime.
Pothead
Pothead

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by tammy 123 May 31st 2010, 3:14 pm

I have been through many glass antiques through roadshows and they just look very creative and beautiful with some fine artistic designs on it to give that royal look.

I have bought some fine collection of thin glasses that are used in royal days, some ceramic designs are there on it which looks simply beautiful.

Thanks
tammy 123
tammy 123

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-31

http://www.the-glass-co.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum