flying free
big ed
Pip
ade0915
dantheman
39 posters

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Empty Bill Fisher one off sculpted Bull figure (1959)

Post by dantheman Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

same size as the cow

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Bill_f14

these pieces show lots of marks from the hand sculpting  process and Bill must have spent many hours making them

Last edited by dantheman on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Empty Re: Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole)

Post by dantheman Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:54 pm

the pottery produced at Newlyn was very decorative but I prefer studio pottery

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Empty Re: Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole)

Post by big ed Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Yup ! fair enough , I just think from my own point of view you can only have so much of the same thing , while I can see the attraction for newlyn Celtic etc , it really is a bit one trick pony sort of stuff, I like it but it hasn't got anything special , Ok we know who did designs etc , but that doesn't ammount to much these days , I like to see progression in a potters work over the years , to get a one hit wonder and stick with it isn't that hard , mistakes should be made in art and eventually /hopefully the artists work evolves into a masterpiece or that ilk , same same same isn't for me , the works of Voulkos & Henderson are what appeals to meal , some of the acclaimed stuff at the moment is like wallpaper , rolls and rolls of the same old tired format , only my view Dan nothing personal Laughter 
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 pm

that's why Bill moved on to sculpture and painting

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Bill didn't exactly 'move on' to painting and sculpture, he was always painting and sculpting as well.

Ed, the early works from Mousehole are very variable in design. It is only after the move to Newlyn, that perhaps things stagnated a bit. But even then, the folk and Medallion ranges only carried on for so long, before they completely stopped and the art deco(ish) style was produced under the name Sunset Ceramics.

But very few Studio potteries don't have a 'style' which they keep to - which is how we can recognise them, even without a label. Leeper stuff is all the same, Tremar, Poole, Troika etc. I'd say it's actually harder to name one that didn't.

Whilst Bill himself continued to make some really outstanding sculpture and some very strange paintings.

If you had actually seen the range of stuff Bill did, you certainly wouldn't call him a 'one hit wonder'.

And yes - VERY NICE Dan.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Male Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

I think this is were the problem might lie , you see "studio potteries don't necessarilary produce true studio work , they have a format ( hence the one trick pony ) that they stuck to ,or do, as the case may be and that's fair enough - if it sells then great and I am well familiar with the potteries you mention and others besides , no matter what name they are called it's still the same business at the end of the day , I am not calling mr Fisher a one hit wonder , but the tired old designs that are flooding car boots /fairs etc in many guises , too much of a good thing imo , like the wiinblad design , great -yes but too much abounds , there has to come a point when you say come on enough is enough change the format the style anything , poole pottery is the worst for that , same shapes with very very similar designs over and over again , just like the west german stuff of the 70's no difference at all actually , I just don't recognise studio pottery as anything other than an individual creating a piece from start to finish From idea -to out of the kiln , that's for me true studio .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm

the problem is a successful studio potter must either turn down orders or lose his/her status as a studio potter Shrugs 

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't understand that Shrugs If A studio potter is Successful , he/she is Successful , what do you mean must turn down orders ?
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 pm

one person can only make decorate and fire a limited number of pots each week

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm

big ed wrote: I just don't recognise studio pottery as anything other than an individual creating a piece from start to finish From idea -to out of the kiln , that's for me true studio .
That would fit very nicely with Bills terracotta sculptures, especially his earlier works. I think he had at least one assistant at some time later on, but I believe his early work was certainly all him. Just a shame almost none of it ever comes onto the market. That Bull and Cow Dan has now got are the only ones of them I've ever seen. The two lions and 1 bull I got a year ago are smaller and later and even though sold through Liberty, are again the only ones I've ever seen. Even those larger horse/unicorn figures and few and far between - I've seen perhaps half a dozen. Certainly not falling over the stuff.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm

dantheman wrote:one person can only make decorate and fire a limited number of pots each week
And if they must all be different and not fall into the same old same format, they wouldn't be making many.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 pm

The thing is most of the Newlyn wares were not really studio pottery, so you can't really compare them to high end individual potters in my opinion.

Most of it will have been made fairy quickly by a small team in order to meet with demand. (I expect demand for the more common pattens was very high)

As with a lot of these types of potteries, I believe their earlier work was much better in general, due to more variety (before they focused mainly on what was selling) and spending more time on each piece.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am

spot on Potty, the 3 early pieces that I posted yesterday would have taken Bill many hours of careful work but Maggie was and is a businesswoman first and foremost.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Empty unglazed Mousehole pots

Post by dantheman Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 am

Celtic_Fan wrote

"Sea Horse - Look closely and you will see it's hasn't had final glaze/firing. It is course not glaze smooth and the colours have not been 'brought out' by the firing. I'm not sure why, but another 'un-glazed' to follow."
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 05110

'un-glazed/fired' fish
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Fisher12

"Has anyone else got any of these 'un-glazed' ones ??"

May we see the backs of your unglazed pots please Celtic Fan?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Not sure where the fish is, but this is the seahorse.
When I was chatting with Kevin Walker about his pots, it seems these may have been finished after the Biscuit firing. Kevin was going to do some like that and I liked the colours before being glazed and 'finished'.
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 006a10
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 007a10
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Empty terracotta horse

Post by dantheman Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 pm

I love the detail in this early Bill Fisher horse, better than his later work in my opinion

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 49610

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:22 pm

dantheman wrote:I love the detail in this early Bill Fisher horse, better than his later work in my opinion
Dan - I think that detail is probably just down to the size of this horse. It's obviously easier to put detail into a large figure, than it is with a small one.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 49710

this one looks Oriental?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by l33ham180 Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 00710

here are a couple of pieces i picked up a short time ago

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 00410
l33ham180
l33ham180

Male Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm

may we see the backs please Lee?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by l33ham180 Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 00810

here is the smaller bowl

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 00910

and here is the reverse of the fish dish
l33ham180
l33ham180

Male Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Capron10

14 inch Newlyn platter

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 am

I love the techniques employed here, the sgraffito is flowing and the design quite impessionistic but the clear, high gloss glaze gives it a very polished look.

Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Celtic10  Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Celtic11     Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 Celtic12

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:51 pm

You don't see many tiles, so I'm rather pleased to finally have one. Although I'd much rather it had a folk design image - but better than nothing.
I assume they bought in the tiles to decorate.
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 096a10
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 097a10
Celtic pottery (Newlyn & Mousehole) - Page 10 098a10
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm sure we've all noticed a difference between the pottery produced at Mousehole, from the later work from Newlyn. But not entirely known exactly what that difference was.

Well now I know and will let you know.

At Mousehole the pottery was double fired. The pottery was first biscuit fired then decorated and dip in a clear glaze, before being fired again. But when Eve came along he introduced spray glazing and a single firing. This allowed the pottery to double production and increase profits.
Maggi has said that with the original production methods, the 'black' oxidised and took on a more metallic look. The later method gave a cleaner image. Although, interestingly, Maggi prefers the original look, but customers didn't seem to notice or mind the change.

I've also discovered the origin of these biscuit fired pieces. They were originally sold waxed! I haven't noticed any wax on mine, so it may have just worn (washed) off over the years. I'm gonna have a very close look at mine to see if I can find any remains.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum