View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Royal Doulton (England)

Post by skay on March 28th 2008, 8:16 pm

Happy

Royal Doulton vases, 9.5" tall.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3479
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

The Poacher

Post by skay on March 28th 2008, 8:39 pm

Happy

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3479

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman on March 28th 2008, 9:04 pm

Salt glazed beer stein with pewter lid

I don't know and I don't care.

"Modern Art" is produced by incompetents, sold by charlatans and bought by ignoramuses?

It is enlightening to juxtapose "Fine Art" to "Modern Art"
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12426

Back to top Go down

Tiny Royal Doulton Enigma!

Post by MatW on March 6th 2011, 3:40 pm

I recently acquired a Tiny Royal Doulton character jug at auction which is stamped underneath Edward VII| D6993. I have put it E-bay to sell on, but was contacted by a buyer in South Africa who says that it is Henry V (D6994). I have to admit that the figurine does look more 15th century in dress that early 20th C, so maybe it is wrong.

Can anyone ID the jug from the photo below please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Typically the Doulton Price Guide does not have a photo of D6993. However the photos of Henry V *D6994) are completely different. I do not own a copy of A Century of Royal Doulton Character and Toby Jugs as I cannot afford the 100 cost.

[img][/img]
MatW

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie on March 14th 2011, 1:38 pm

Hi yes it is D6993 Edward VII from the tinies set

Kings and Queens of the Realm
Modeled by Bill Harper
1994 Limited edition of 2,500

Charles I D6995
Edward VII D6993
Elizabeth I D6992
Henry V D6994
Henry VIII D6990
Victoria D6991
Oldmagpie

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Anyone like to take a stab at this piece, got it today for free

Post by geheime geschiedenis on June 2nd 2011, 9:36 pm

Hello Everyone,
I do appreciate the kind words said by the starting members that have viewed my thread.
I did get a piece, and then thought about it for a while, and almost did not put it on, as I really think it doesnt qualify.
you can be the judge.
Please I welcome all crtiques.

Take care
gsm

Last edited by geheime geschiedenis on June 2nd 2011, 9:58 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : i messed up again on my pics i know how to now, thanks for your patience.)
geheime geschiedenis

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by geheime geschiedenis on June 2nd 2011, 10:10 pm

just a note before i get the clothing off the line, i have red sky at night, redsky in the morning barn still burning, i hope its 40 degrees friday.

at any rate. I just wanted everyone to know, that the piece here has a silver top band around it, that is the tarnished piece i never even noticed it
till i got it home, and saw 4 silver hallmarks london 1897, but with a 1902 backstamp, would they have had these jugs already silvered uped, and then add the salt glazed and backstamp later or were they using the new backstamp as early as 1897, i know this would never be a barlow piece, as hannah was very animal like and i dont think annah either did salt glaze, please correct me if iam wrong.

everyone have a great evening, and no hard feelings on the slow pics, deal??????
geheime geschiedenis

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth-h on June 3rd 2011, 10:31 pm

These relief moulded pieces were based on designs by George Tinworth, although I believe individual artists were encouraged to come up with their own variations.

The silver band is interesting. I'm not sure that this is original, I have heard that people fitted them to cover up damage. The fact that it has earlier date marks than the jug makes me wonder whether the band has been re-purposed from another jug.

The jug can't be 1897, the Royal Warrant was only granted in 1901 and it is well documented that this mark (the first to say Royal) was used from 1902.
gareth-h

Male Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-03-27

http://www.pooleroom.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by geheime geschiedenis on June 4th 2011, 11:07 pm

Your 100 percent on the royal bit, that is documented, I never heard of the bit about covering up broken bits, I will say this on ruby lane they have one and it says close to the same info, same size, and also same pattern, only thing is pattern number im sorry date number is 6446 i believe i saw i wont link that site but just did some cheking around. I want to sell it off.

it is not even my style at all. I have two of these pieces but i believe also the other is a lambeth doulton, so a bit earlier, i also have soem nice grauated ink bottle denby bourne, and that is all the way up to the ink jug.

i appreciate all the info's on this thread. I will shine the silver up, and get the hallmarks photographed with a 10x loupe so we can get some provenance on this piece. that ruby lane piece is outragously priced.

cheeers
gsm
geheime geschiedenis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nik the collector on June 5th 2011, 11:31 pm

The "Harvest Ware" ranges were first produced in about 1815 when the company was called Doulton & Watts, and have nothing to do with George Tinworth. The Doulton factories were awarded the royal warrent in 1901 but didn't use it in the backstamps until early in 1902. Special moulds were made so that an E.P.N.S or silver rim could be fitted by Jewellers, this was a common practice from about 1880 until about 1940, quite a few factories supplied items ready for fittings this way. The silver rim should be flush to the body below it.
Are you quite sure about the hallmark dates, although it is quite possible a jeweller made a batch up and that one sat on the bottom of the pile for a couple of years. I have 2 identical 1pint tankards, 1 hallmarked for 1903 and the other 1904.
Your shape number 5406 is relative to it being Harvest ware on a jug, my tankards have the number 5013, the numbers and factory mark have to be impressed when the clay is still 'wet', and would be very hard to do when dry and impossible after firing.
Nik the collector

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Howard Lincoln on October 3rd 2015, 1:46 am

Picked a couple of Royal Doulton pieces up at auction recently. This is the first - a whisky flask. I haven't found enough online to determine it's value so any help would be appreciated. I rather like it!

Last edited by Howard Lincoln on October 3rd 2015, 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Howard Lincoln

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Howard Lincoln on October 3rd 2015, 1:49 am

This was the second item of Royal Doulton in the lot. Would these both be Lambeth?

Howard Lincoln

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on December 16th 2015, 8:27 pm

Doulton Lambeth hand painted tile panel c1900.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5267
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. on December 16th 2015, 8:58 pm

It's humongous! Need more info? Size? Did it come for public place? Is it undamaged? Looks in amazing condition SP?
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on December 16th 2015, 9:21 pm

I imagine they are standard 6 inch square tiles and it's one of three in St. Thomas' Hospital just south of Westminster Bridge. So I don't own it.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5267
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. on December 16th 2015, 10:11 pm

I see. Did look like a commission. Idil world before the horrors to come. Nice photo.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wildmantel on February 23rd 2016, 1:57 am

I am supposed to be downsizing my pieces, when I go out and come back with this Insane

Doulton Lambeth Oxford Charger. Two base marks, one brown transfer, the other is impressed Size is approximately 18" by 15" could not just leave it on a shelf. great condition and price. Jumping For Joy

wildmantel

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2016-02-12

http://www.handlinghistory.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on July 28th 2016, 4:31 pm

Never been a great fan of Doulton, but my one example is quite pretty.
Never really managed to date it, maybe 20s? or ID the decorator, it looks like BIY or BN?

denbydump

Number of posts : 2893
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic on July 19th 2017, 5:01 am

Here's a vase measuring about 22cm tall and with 7851 impressed on the base...

cycladelic

Male Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum