HAND PAINTED [PERSIAN]? TILE

Go down

HAND PAINTED [PERSIAN]? TILE

Post by merlin on Thu 1 Nov - 13:50

i PICKED THIS TILE UP THE OTHER DAY BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT LOOKED INTERESTING AND PERHAPS ANTIQUE.

HOWEVER, I AM UNSURE AS TO WHERE IT MAY HAVE BEEN MADE AND THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE PERSIAN [BUT I'M PROBABLY WRONG]!

ANY HELP TO IDENTIFY WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED...!

merlin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2017-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: HAND PAINTED [PERSIAN]? TILE

Post by NaomiM on Thu 1 Nov - 18:20

Certainly looks Persian - Turkey through to Afghanistan area. Not sure about age. I’d expect there to be more dirt in the crazing lines if it was an antique. More likely to be mid 20thC

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 18543
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by merlin on Thu 1 Nov - 18:44

Thank you Naomi...it is difficult to age such things but i am guessing you are right and that its mid 20th century [possibly early 20th]?

Are such tiles commonplace Naomi do you know? I certainly haven't come across such a piece before and find it quite charming...!
merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on Thu 1 Nov - 19:35

I don’t know how common they are; i guess they are made for cermenting to walls so unless someone prises one off they’re not likely to find their way to the UK

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 18543
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep on Thu 1 Nov - 20:42

It's near Eastern from the part of the middle east that borders Europe. Or from what is now Pakistan. It's probably not old. They are making these things today as decorative items. I do not believe they are intended to fool or are fakes but are done in the same style as much older items. Although the burnt parts could be looked upon as an attempt to fool.  

The dead give away on many of these is the design. Although they vary a great deal depending on how devout the ruler was when they were made. Persian for there own use tiles do not show living creatures like humans or animals. They best you get is a human with line across the neck to show they are not alive and this is only during the most liberal eras. Persian tiles are nearly always plants or design swirls of some type. I believe the avoidance of living creatures comes from the Muslim faith but don't have much information about why. Still we have a lot to thank these early artists for. Nearly every carpet, most dresses, many shirts and a lot of wallpaper has its origin in these designs.
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 852
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by merlin on Fri 2 Nov - 8:14

Many thanks Mordeep, that is most interesting and helpful....appreciated!
I had heard from another source that Persian tiles do not depict animals and yet i've seen floral designs with birds incorporated that were 'supposed to be' Persian. Why the Muslim faith might avoid depicting animals [but not birds]? is a bit of a mystery to me and i suspect to others...!

I learn something every day...!
merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep on Sun 4 Nov - 4:39

merlin wrote:Many thanks Mordeep, that is most interesting and helpful....appreciated!
I had heard from another source that Persian tiles do not depict animals and yet i've seen floral designs with birds incorporated that were 'supposed to be' Persian. Why the Muslim faith might avoid depicting animals [but not birds]? is a bit of a mystery to me and i suspect to others...!

I learn something every day...!

The simple answer is Persian tiles for Persians don't depict things that are alive. They get around that with various tricks in the image to show its not alive but only during periods that they could get away with it. Some eras were less strict than others. The other option of course is they were not Persian tiles at all but from regions close or made by people of different faiths.
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 852
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum