Top potters that worked together

3 posters

Go down

Top potters that worked together Empty Top potters that worked together

Post by abstract toad June 15th 2018, 5:24 pm

I know many of the great names collaborated at some point or other, but two lesser known (or two whose work is less sought after than the Cardews, Hamadas….. may be a better way of putting it) potters whose work I very much admire may have done the same, David Winkley (Vellow Somerset) and Peter Dick (Coxwold North Yorkshire).
Can anyone confirm this please?

The years I am looking at are between 1964 - 66. The reason being, a pot that I sold to someone in America (who had visited the Coxwold studio & purchased directly from there, some years ago) was marked with an early Coxwold mark and also an impressed square, very much like the one used by D.Winkley, circa 64 - 66.

Coxwold opened its doors in 65, so this all looks like it ties together.

I will be very grateful if anyone can confirm that they worked together. I would like to let the chap know more about his pot, I am sure he will be interested to hear more. And also good for my own personal reference.

Many thanks.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Top potters that worked together Empty Re: Top potters that worked together

Post by philpot June 15th 2018, 6:12 pm

Peter Dick  worked at Abuja 1960-61. While Michael Cardew would have still been there. Then at Winchcombe 1961-64. He and his wife Jill founded Coxwold Pottery in 1965.
  David Winkley worked with Bernard Forrester at Dartington in 1963. Then at the Merchant's pottery,Hotwell,  Bristol  1964-66. He started Vellow pottery in 1966.

So they probably did not work closely together. But the Studio Pottery world in the early 60's was a very small one, and the primary influences were  St Ives(Bernard Leach) Wenford Bridge(Michael Cardew) and Winchcombe (Ray Finch) all whose careers and philosophy were much intertwined. So they had very similar influences.

Quote from the Studio pottery website.'David Winkley was born in Nelson, Lancashire in 1939. He studied as a pictorial artist at the School of Fine Art in London, and then at Reading University and Pembroke College, Cambridge.'

philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad June 16th 2018, 11:06 am

Thank you for the feedback Phil.
As familiar as I am with both potters and their history, I feel sure that they must have spent a weekend or two working together at least, for the mark on the pot I had looks nailed on as the first mark Winkley used, together with the Coxwold mark.
It is probably one of those things that I may never discover the truth behind, but you never know, which is why I put it out there.
But thanks again for your input.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 16th 2018, 6:20 pm

abstract toad wrote:Thank you for the feedback Phil.
As familiar as I am with both potters and their history, I feel sure that they must have spent a weekend or two working together at least, for the mark on the pot I had looks nailed on as the first mark Winkley used, together with the Coxwold mark.
It is probably one of those things that I may never discover the truth behind, but you never know, which is why I put it out there.
But thanks again for your input.

What philpot says above is correct but because it was such a small world back then what you say about working together for a week or two is quite possible.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad June 17th 2018, 8:42 am

Thank you studio.
From what little I know, the studio pottery world is a much more congested place now than it ever was, hence all of the forums / groups..... Those potters had no idea (I imagine) of what they were setting in motion and how things would take off.
I find the thought of two great talents knocking something lovely up over a day or three rather charming.
I have met one or two folk that had strong ties to the Coxwold studio and I loved hearing what they had to say about their experiences.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum