square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide?

+3
NaomiM
philpot
debbie23g
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Empty square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide?

Post by debbie23g May 13th 2018, 11:06 am

Any ideas on this one would be appreciated:

square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Img_3410
square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Img_3411
square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Img_3412

TIA
debbie23g
debbie23g

Female Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-07-19

Back to top Go down

square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Empty Re: square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide?

Post by philpot May 13th 2018, 12:47 pm

Not Maltby. Everything is wrong.The glaze is really not much like anything at all within John Maltby's canon . Too bright, too strong, too glossy. The SP mark is just nothing much anything like his Stoneshill mark, part from being a capital SP.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? Empty Re: square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide?

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2018, 12:52 pm

It looks very similar to one of Maltby’s Stoneshill Pottery mark but i agree with Philpot that everything else about it is wrong; the mark would have been on his standard ware, and he would have included an M if it was his Art pottery.
It might be Michael Cartwright’s Spike Pottery but I haven’t seen enough of his work for comparison; the mark was only used for a short period.

square shallow bowl with an SP mark on the base red oxide? 7dbde710

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie23g May 13th 2018, 5:04 pm

Many thanks for the comments - didn't think it was Maltby myself as it is so disimilar. I'm sure I've seen similar work before but can't place it atm.
debbie23g
debbie23g

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 13th 2018, 8:46 pm

Well I'm going to disagree with you both and say my money is on it being Stoneshill Pottery Big Laughter

The mark is right (ofc this proves little), the clay looks about right (though he did use many), the age would seem right and the style/decoration I could see Maltby doing (his variation was huge and he did seem to like vague cross shapes/4 parts).

philpot wrote:The SP mark is just nothing much anything like his Stoneshill mark, part from being a capital SP.

He has more than one SP mark, one is more angled, but this is another:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/76/87/27/768727606375cca0dee7c6a70fdf2e42.jpg (link from Naiomi's pinterest boards)

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2018, 9:55 pm

Yes, I considered that one but the lettering is often a broken line, and often accompanied by the M stamp so I wasn’t sure

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 13th 2018, 10:06 pm

I've seen both this and the more angular SP mark used own their own on pieces that I was certain were from Stoneshill.

With regards to Michael Cartwright I've no idea what his work or actual mark is like, the SP font used appears to be the same in "the book", but I've found that book to be very unreliable when it comes to the finer details, but you could well be right.

Though I do think it's a bit early to rule Stoneshill out just yet, would be interesting to know what Studio-Pots thinks Most Excellent

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 13th 2018, 10:16 pm

Apparently Michael Cartwright is now an antiques dealer and this is his website/contact details, probably worth asking his opinion Most Excellent

http://mandhantiques.co.uk/

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 14th 2018, 8:32 pm

Potty wrote:I've seen both this and the more angular SP mark used own their own on pieces that I was certain were from Stoneshill.

With regards to Michael Cartwright I've no idea what his work or actual mark is like, the SP font used appears to be the same in "the book", but I've found that book to be very unreliable when it comes to the finer details, but you could well be right.

Though I do think it's a bit early to rule Stoneshill out just yet, would be interesting to know what Studio-Pots thinks Most Excellent

I can't add anything with any confidence except to say I wouldn't rule anything out.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 15th 2018, 2:09 am

studio-pots wrote:I can't add anything with any confidence except to say I wouldn't rule anything out.

Most Excellent

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 15th 2018, 8:13 am

very wise

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 15th 2018, 9:14 am

The glazing and form look more like A Frith Brookhouse pottery piece.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie23g May 17th 2018, 12:09 pm

I have had contact with Mick Cartwright and he was happy to share his views with the forum:

'I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit I’m very hazy about this pot. The stamp is identical to the Spike Pottery mark and I don’t think I added a personal monogram as I was the only potter. I remember making slab form dishes without a mould, just free-formed over a square block of wood but I thought that was at art school, not later. I have fairly comprehensive references but can find no other similar marks and the pot is exactly the sort of work I made inspired by Hamada slab dishes.
Bottom line is I am surprised how good it looks in the photo, always thought my pots were a little mundane, well made but lacking creativity.'

I said that: The only other SP mark in question was Stoneshill Pottery with some question over whether it might be by Maltby.

Mick replied that:
I remain perplexed. The John Maltby connection is a possibility
and there is an SP stamp that looks very similar to Stoneshill Pottery so it can’t be ruled out.
My instinct is that it is a Maltby pot. I can’t quite get my head around the abstract wax resist motifs, just doesn’t ring any bells with me.
Oh well, the mystery remains!
No objection to sharing comments.

So from Micks comments I dont think that he is convinced that it is his and the mystery remains
debbie23g
debbie23g

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 17th 2018, 12:42 pm

Interesting. I’ll ask a friend who knows Maltby well. He might get a chance to ask the man himself.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 17th 2018, 5:00 pm

mmmmm....
Is there such a thing as just too much fan intrusion?
This was produced when John Maltby was round about 40.
He is now well into his 80's and retired from potting.
Let be... Let be.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 17th 2018, 6:46 pm

Semi-retired.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 17th 2018, 7:43 pm

I asked the Maltby collector and he said it’s unlike anything he’s seen by Maltby

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 17th 2018, 7:47 pm

I am a Maltby collector...
You did not ask me! Laughter :rofl
: Laughter Laughter
Tho seriously.
We have our heroes and respect them.
Surely part of that respect, is of their privacy?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 17th 2018, 7:49 pm

Not when it comes to IDing their work. If we don’t ask them while they’re still alive then we won’t have the chance when they’re dead

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 17th 2018, 7:58 pm

Sorry Naomi.
We will have to disagree on this one.
Personally I would regard its as an impertinent intrusion.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 17th 2018, 8:57 pm

Well don't ask don't get. Nothing wrong in my book in asking politely. I'm assuming you are guessing pp when you say he may think it an intrusion? Yes he might but conversely he may love to see something from his past hat he has not seen in many, many years - it may bring back good memories.

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 17th 2018, 9:18 pm

Wellllll.....
Since this was never ever going to be a Maltby piece. Wrong in every way.
Why bother his privacy.
Personally I belong to the old school. Before the internet made privacy a non-existent thing, and gave everybody seemingly the God-given right to think they can intrude on everyone anytime!Shrugs Shrugs Shrugs
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 17th 2018, 9:21 pm

Well I get intrusions on my privacy every day, my inbox is full of them .....delete, delete, delete.... no worries. I don't lose any sleep over it. I would be surprised if anyone did.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 17th 2018, 9:33 pm

Well it wouldn’t be me asking. I’ve passed the photos to someone who’s a friend and sees him regularly. If he sees it as an intrusion, or not a Maltby so not worth asking, then that’s his decision. But there are many ‘car boot’ collectors who have no qualms about contacting all and sundry. If the potter doesn’t want to respond then they won’t .

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 17th 2018, 9:38 pm

lots of potters are reassured by emails from fans of their work

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum