RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R

3 posters

Go down

RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R Empty RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R

Post by olipayton May 6th 2018, 1:43 pm

Hi I picked up this mug today but am struggling to match the maker. The mark is similar to Ruperts but the style seems far removed

RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R Sam_7513
RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R Sam_7512
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R Empty Re: RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R

Post by NaomiM May 6th 2018, 1:54 pm

I don’t recognise the mark, although I’ll add that Powdermills Pottery also had a back to front R.
It looks 1970s style. Similar to Grayshott and Broadstairs potteries, and quite a lot of others back then who used this grey glaze over stoneware

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R Empty Re: RR mark - Apart from Rupert Andrews did anyone else use a backward R

Post by philpot May 6th 2018, 2:20 pm

A usual, Naomi got to the core of things. This type of thing was made on profusion by lots of studio potteries on the 1970's. As studio pottery goes, its very boring ubiquity makes it pretty much dead in the water.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton May 6th 2018, 2:35 pm

Oh gosh philpot - I quite like it! As a hot chocolate drinking mug its not that bad.
olipayton
olipayton

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 6th 2018, 2:42 pm

I would love to know why this clay and glaze was so ubiquitous back then. Maybe there was just one supplier? There were government schemes to help people set up craft cooperatives, but not many potters developing their own clay and glazes like they do now.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton May 7th 2018, 5:05 pm

Maybe to do with mining strikes - perhaps this reduced the number of suppliers or perhaps the clay was then imported to fill the void.
olipayton
olipayton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum